A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GAME] Sky Diver

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar

[GAME] Sky Diver

Hey all, as I mentioned here , I'm an avid Atari junkie. I also mentioned I was recreating a few old games because A) I miss playing them and B) They were pretty easy/fun to recreate. So, without further ado, I present Sky Diver (originally on the Atari 2600). Also, I made sure I went entirely with keyboard control (though you may need to click the swf itself to gain focus). It uses all the original sounds/gfx recreated by me from listening to the sounds and using the dAPI to draw everything. With the exception of menu text, 100% of what you see is created with dAPI, which reduced the final game size to a mere 22.5kb. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed playing/creating it.

Please let me know what you think.

Sky Diver

*TIP* You get more points for dropping farther from the landing pad and pulling your shoot later.

*NOTE* You start with a 30% chance for parachute failure, each successful jump will reduce this risk by 1%.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Try to change the way you detect keys in the menu, it currently runs through the menu options too fast.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Never played the game before but it seems like you did an accurate representation of an Atari game. Impressive to see that all in the drawing API .

The menus do need work. Not only the button detecting like tonypa mentioned, but the text and layout would be better if they matched the retro style of the game.

It's a fun game though. It would be cool if you expanded on the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce
    the text and layout would be better if they matched the retro style of the game.

Hmm? I don't understand how the text does not fit... I double checked on another pc and all the text is embedded and showing up correctly... aside from basic colored text and the nearest text available to me, I don't see how it could fit even more. I hope you understand that my goal for this game was to wander away from the original idea as little as possible. As I had told someone else, this game is more for personal enjoyment than for publicity or recognition; I just thought that it would be nice to share it with the community and hear your thoughts.

Oh and before anyone says something about, most older Atari 2600 games that I remember failed to have a title screen with the name of the game, so this is why it does not show itself in the game.

And here's a video of the original.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    was that video you reviewing it lol...... nice game i guess.... i cant play worth poo..

Quote Originally Posted by samvillian
    was that video you reviewing it lol...
    Good heavens no.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    I agree with Tonypa on the menu keys. Make it so a keypress only moves one menuitem at the time, so you can't scroll through the menu or at least slow it down! Otherwise it's a nice little game
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Nice game. Only one thing was that the parachute sometimes didn't work and when I died I didn't realise you have to press to start your next shot. Graphics are awesome too. 3D rendered?

Nice work man.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    No, hooligan, that's definitely DayDream's work! the touch and feel, the small details and the care! It must have taken months I love old school games!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

If parachute failure really was 30% i don't know how many jumps I'd do!

I always like retro style games, and I do like this game. The problem is I hate the early stages of it when you have that %30 failure chance, since basically you're making me lose a life, without me being able to doo anything about it.
    Once you've got into it and that failure rate has gone down (does it go down to zero or is there a minimum?) it's much more fun, especially towards the end where the wind direction changes a lot.

You start with a 30% chance for parachute failure, each successful jump will reduce this risk by 1%
    Woops should really read full posts.

Good game ;D

I just played it some more, and one feature I'd really like is to be able to skip straight to the next jump. To get the high scores you need to jump out as soon as possible, and I was frequently having to wait 3-4 second for the planes to exit the screen so I could make the next jump.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh !

I was making something like that for the contest of jay is games!

You ll see in a week or two
    Last edited by scheletro; 06-27-2007 at 10:47 AM.

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride
    *TIP* You get more points for dropping farther from the landing pad and pulling your shoot later.

*NOTE* You start with a 30% chance for parachute failure, each successful jump will reduce this risk by 1%.

Nice...just like real skydiving!!!

Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

try using on key press functions instead of the if key is down function for menus.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

try using on key press functions instead of the if key is down function for menus.

I'll think about it, but I'm pretty accustomed to it now so I doubt I'll change it.

Nice...just like real skydiving!!!

Sarcasm? I felt the game was too easy without some sort of risk, as the game isn't forcing you to take any risks.

I just played it some more, and one feature I'd really like is to be able to skip straight to the next jump. To get the high scores you need to jump out as soon as possible, and I was frequently having to wait 3-4 second for the planes to exit the screen so I could make the next jump.

Sorry. That is exactly as the original played.

I always like retro style games, and I do like this game. The problem is I hate the early stages of it when you have that %30 failure chance, since basically you're making me lose a life, without me being able to doo anything about it.

As I said, it doesn't force you to take risks, so you could just spend forever and accumulate points by dropping right over the pad every round.

If parachute failure really was 30% i don't know how many jumps I'd do!

Hah. Me either, but failure is a reality. Unfortunately, I needed a minimum of 30% because of the nature of Math.random().

No, hooligan, that's definitely DayDream's work! the touch and feel, the small details and the care! It must have taken months I love old school games!

Umm, thanks?

Graphics are awesome too. 3D rendered?

I'm not sure I understand you, or was this sarcastic? The original was an Atari 2600, and my goal was a near exact replica of that game. All the artwork, aside from menu fonts, was done via Flash's drawing API.

---

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm glad at least a few others found enjoyment from the game.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Unfortunately, I needed a minimum of 30% because of the nature of Math.random().
    Eh? Explain.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Just from testing I guess. I ran probably 100 tests of 100 Math.random()'s and the averages were all in the high 20's.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Hmm? I don't understand how the text does not fit... I double checked on another pc and all the text is embedded and showing up correctly... aside from basic colored text and the nearest text available to me, I don't see how it could fit even more.
    What I'm saying is that the font doesn't fit. Notice the font used for the score, how it's really plain and blocky. The font you chose is digital-ish, pretty squared off, but it has rounded edges and really thin lines. I think that if you at least made the font bigger it would look like it's a part of the actual game.

The glow on the selected item doesn't help either. If you make it just change colors it'll look more authentic. As far as I know the Atari 2600 didn't have a glow filter.