A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How was this 3d dragon made???

How was this 3d dragon made???

Does anyone have ANY IDEA how this was created???

http://www.audible.de/lebendigeworte/

Im guessing after effects or something that was exported out to a flv.

any ideas are appreciated

Thanks
    Don't be afraid to fail, because when you least expect it, you'll do something great.

Dabest31

I'd say that they used a dragon model, texture mapped it with a png with 3D text - or attached a movie with the text that came out of the headphones - and applied it as the skin of the dragon, animated within a 3D app and output to *.swf or *.flv perhaps via render directly from the 3D application or via taking parts of it over to AE and render out to a flash movie with some tweaks here and there (post-production).

That was very nicely done.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

It was created with spooky german magic letters.

You don't want to dabble in the occult, my friend... you don't want to dabble.

Seriously - haven't got a clue. It is a nice effect - you're right about the FLV bit for sure.

You know, I'm gonna go with magic, too. All I can think of is that it uses a phenomenal amount of code to animate each letter since you can follow each one as it exits the headphones and they are also affected by the wind of the dragon's wings.

Killer cool stuff.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

perpetually bored
    damn... I wish I was good in After Effects

I actually think a similar letter animation could be achieved with AS. The 3d element has been done before and as far as I can see, the letters just seem to be orbiting a focal point with some random fluctuations. As far as the wind, some of the letters may have been keyframed manually but it looks like a simple repulsion -> push out the focal point and increase the randomness and you would get that.

So which one of us is going to demonstrate this?
    Last edited by flashlorax; 06-30-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Its an FLV.. I know because I cant load those from work, and I cant load this

That is simply an output format, it doesn't provide any insight into how the effect was created.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

This can be done easily with Thinking Particles for example in c4d , or any other particle system, where you have a lot of control over your particles. the way i would have made this is like this:

- two particle emmiters left and right
    - a particle attractor in the center, which they can orbit
    - 2 groups of particles, one of them eases into the dragon geometry ( which is pretty easy with thinking particles)
    - add some randomness into the recipe, some forces, there you go

on second thought (or view) , the dragon really looks texture mapped, so i think they smuggled him into the particle storm, which is even easier

Quote Originally Posted by chrimarg
    This can be done easily with Thinking Particles for example in c4d , or any other particle system, where you have a lot of control over your particles. the way i would have made this is like this:

- two particle emmiters left and right
    - a particle attractor in the center, which they can orbit
    - 2 groups of particles, one of them eases into the dragon geometry ( which is pretty easy with thinking particles)
    - add some randomness into the recipe, some forces, there you go

on second thought (or view) , the dragon really looks texture mapped, so i think they smuggled him into the particle storm, which is even easier
    I second this, a really awesome effect but using 3ds max partial system's would be relatively easy (even the wings effecting the letters) I have made smoke that acted similar with a rotating fan that had an effect on where the smoke blows.