A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My own private rant about code, and FKters...

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    but the whole thing is now blown out of proportions : was supposed to be a quick rant with not too much consequences that'll teach me ...

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Oh, Im really glad to hear you finished all those on the web, like I said that is not the common ocurrence and some of those were actually really big projects. So congratulations you are the exception to the rule

You may be right about coders wanting to go the next step, I ussually find myself just trying to do my job and end up constantlyu pushing the envelope (at least my own envelope) , I dont know, maybe is a condition for some of us.

Anyway why do you want to change that? you are doing this is as a hobby, and your last games really REALLY pushed the limits of flash. Maybe you are the one not being ambi-tious enough this time.

I dont think this has been blown out of proportion is an interesting conversation topic but Anyway Ill shut up now.

Good luck!

Just found this thread, so i'll throw my 2 pennies in.

I must admit this kinda thing bugs me. Even as we speak I have someone wanting me to come in on a project with them, which is being described as a huge all singing and all dancing internet project done in flash, but....."I'm afriad I can't offer you any money just yet for doing it". I don't doubt this persons determination and passion for what they are doing, but people are not being realistic. Many of the startups that went on to make mega bucks for their founders were infact started with mega bucks (relatively), and/or they happened to know someone who happened to know someone who worked in traditional media (TV/Radio/News papers) who gave them a mention (digg.com for example)

This applies to online services, new app's and games that are going to be anything more then just 5 second development time toys.

and in this climate people are just not going to work for "free", maybe thats a good thing, maybe its a bad thing, who knows, but its just how it is. So the moral of the story is, if you want something done, do it yourself, unless you have wads of cash to throw at someone to do it for you.

My advice to anyone out there, is don't try and do a "big" project,by yourself or even if you think you can find a team of people from FK, even if you get started the chances of finishing are low. Find a small but effective project, something thats doable in a reasonable time frame, and doesn't require more then yourself or maybe 1 other person. I don't mean just do a "coffee break" game, it can be something more then that, but just don't try and re-create amazon.com or WOW in Flash and expect developers to come on board for no pay. That still leaves LOTS of great finishable Flash projects for people to get their teeth into!

I'm one of the people having hundreds of finished but unused engines on his harddisk. And I really understand Lux, I also tried to break new boundries and tried over and over again, although I realize I would be way more succesfull if I stuck to simple games.

and heres the irony. If half the effort that was put into all these game engines, or uncomplete huge Flash game projects was put into something a bit more down to earth and boring, say a online service or desktop app? most of the people on this forum would be super rich by now. The people that get rich from the net, are not more intelligent then anyone else, they just make better choices.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    I beleive actually the opposite : you are putting side to side two different things - game engines, and unfinished big projects ; that was exactly my point earlier - if people putt the time sticking to one game instead of writting 5 engines, we would see bigger games, we would see more complex, thought off gameplay, and that would possibly raise the options on what people expect for a Flash game.

The second thing I disagree is that you oppose "big" project to "down to hearth" : theres is nothing nessecerly "irrealistic" about a big project, except the fact that it's big, and that it takes some commitment to bring to life. To take a personnal exemple, 2KH is very "down to earth" - it's pretty simple to code, doesn't break any grounds or try to take Flash were it never went (and could possibliy not go at the moment ) - the only difficulty, or "ground breaking" element in it is that it's a lot of data, and take organisation, and dedication ... 2 Kingdoms, the original one is what, 5 years old now ? and I beleive that's still one of the biggest amateur, single player RPG out there : why ? I mean, code wise people know Flash better now, can get more of it than 5 years ago, and 2K was already, at that time pretty straight forward ... Is it just because people don't have the constance to stick to one thing ? then I would say that it's a waste of talent ...

So sure, you personnally feel more satisfied seeing people devlopp the same coffee break games over and over, you might prefer to play short games, with simple but addictive gameplays, or, if you are a devlopper living of your production, you might want to go "risk free" and not spent too much work on your resource and sell "quick" - and that's your right, but this topic tries to bring a different point of view on the matter.
    You are focused about the "get rich from the net" part, which explains your vision of "the better choices" - I'm not - it is here a board crossing over between amateurs and pros, I'm talking to the amateurs, not the pros (or those that want to go "pro" with their production, right away), as stated many times

Eventually I want to start something like 2K but ATM I have to learn about bitmaps, then I should know everything I need, but my problem is that i'm also a messy coder and can't draw to save my own life
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."