A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Multiplayer] Building MMO Virtual Worlds

[Multiplayer] Building MMO Virtual Worlds

MMO, MMOG, MMORPG... there are literally dozens of acronyms like this that indicate massive multiplayer online games/communities/applications etc...
    I've seen a lot of requests and questions on how to build these types of apps, both here and gotoandplay.it (and several other places)

Additionally, by providing daily support on the SmartFoxServer forums, I have been asked hundreds of times how to create an MMO, what's the best approach, how about security, scalability... tons of questions

Sometimes it seem that developers underestimate the complexity involved in the creation of such "monsters"... and I am not just talking about beginners.
    There's really a lot of hard work behind an MMOG, which typically involves different skills on both server and client sides.

But of course it's not just all sweat and pains: browser based MMOGs are gaining popularity and they seem to be quite profitable. Also there are still many unexplored territories in this field, which could lead far away from the regular avatar-chat type of thing.

I've recently published a two-part article that tries to give an overview of the many aspects involved in the creation of an MMOG including client side and server side architecture, scalability, security, development tips and more...

Hope you like it

Lapo
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Very nice, Lapo! Good night read
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Great work lapo, really good read for any sort of multi player games.

Who was it who posted an asteroid game on here but it was online? I'd like to see the source code for something like that, he made it himself (I think) and someone else made a chat room. I think I may experiment with online game soon.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    great reading

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

thanks for the post.

one thing ( you should embed the flash menu on the page, i get that annoying box)