A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: killabry vs. gerbick | called out

I hope you don't a crit from a newb, but I'm not a big fan of your text treatment, gerbs. The layout and font choice is fine, but I think the blurred lettering takes away from the piece, rather than adds to it. I dunno, I think it woulda been better to just leave it alone. Anyway, I know you like to receive crits as well as the next guy, and you typically don't get any cuz everyone is so flabbergasted by your outstanding work, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in...

-Sandy
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

Bring on the crits... that's the only way we learn here in the Arena.

Honestly, I left the text flat, no treatment and it seemed to fail as a "exit point" and didn't mesh with the lines I pulled from Killabry's image... which have a blurry edge as well. I went with white to pull the eyes down to the "exit" of the image, bottom right... yellow gave no contrast and the font was lost in the layout somewhat. take a look...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i like your last one the most so far in this battle. the guy sticks out a little bit, but other then that its great.

love the lens flare.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Damn gerbs. Your light treatment on that is awesome.
    I've a japenese song runing through my head now though...

I declare this one dead... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    I declare the arena dead... oh well.

You saying you want to have a one-week, an image a day, battle there Sandy? Is that what I hear??

Beware, I'll triple dare you like I'm the last kid...

What I'm saying is that except for the JWin/Darkness battle... has there been one battle that has actually finished within the last few months?!? I guess I'm implying we have a bunch of minute-men battlers...

As for your dare... you calling me out there gerbs? Cuz if you are calling for a sprint battle, I will respectfully decline because I have a realistic view of my schedule for the next few months (I'm about to take a new job within the company that will keep me runnin...) and don't have eyes bigger than my stomach...

...now if you wanted to run a more sensible 3 image/ 3-5 day turnaround battle I could swing that... and I guarantee you won't get one return from me and then watch me fade into oblivion...

The next battle I do... I'm going to shackle the person to the desk.

Natsia and I have a slower paced battle, so that's fine. The rest of the battles... people haven't really been giving good critiques and comments for the most of them. In fact, I'd say your critique above is one of the better ones I've personally received and have read in a while.

As far as a battle between you and I... yep, I was calling you out on a sprint battle. One time Nightwish and I had a battle that averaged 29 minutes per return. A lot of caffeine was consumed that day.

If you want to battle at a slower pace... let's do a desktop (1024x768) battle and make it up to 3 weeks per return at 3 returns each. Or something...

But settle in on that job first. I might have to concentrate on a few projects first my damn self.

The Arena... it's not dead. But it does need a pick-me-up.

G, if you want, I will man up and compete in a sprint battle with you. The rapid fire volleys may get people excited.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

Oh? Gimme a day. We're going to do this in an odd fashion... clear out an hour for 4 days... cool?

And let me know what time is best for you because it'll require at least an hour. I'm GMT -5, east coast US time.

In case you're wondering, this is gonna be an odd battle. One I've never done either

I am eastern time too and my schedule is flexible for the next week so whatever time is good for you I can work around. Monday is probably no good for me but the sooner we start the better because I am road tripping/moving from pittsburgh, pa to san antonio, tx at the end of the month.

-From a work for hire ad

Ok.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday... 6pm EST... three volleys, within 1 hour of the original drop.

As it stands... I'll do this in an odd manner. We'll both volley from the same image initially on the first day. Then on the second day, we'll go from each other's prior image the next day but have to add an element from another picture that'll be randomly picked out.

And then the same thing on the last day. And on each image, once they're dropped, one hour to completion.

And for the record, I'll not know what the image is beforehand either. I'll remain random like that to keep it even between you and I.

What say you? Odd enough to keep everybody (including us) guessing and on a good enough schedule, eh?

I'll be traveling here soon too... 28th or so. So this fits just about right. 3 images, 3 days, one hour for each... and no filters other than the necessary ones - read: blur, sharpen, noise.

You game? This should be odd enough to warrant a looksie or such.

That sounds interesting! JWin, I'm glad you took it, cuz I'd hate to see a good idea get snuffed out cuz no one has the time, and I know you'll make good on it!

runs off to get popcorn...

Gerbs, gimmee a few weeks to a month, and then we'll battle it up right nice.

Oh and J... moving from Pittsburgh to San Antonio... you are so gonna melt. I'm in Dallas, and it's been 105+ here every day for the last few weeks. SA is even warmer. But it's a nice city. Make sure you go to Mi Tierra's in the Market Square when you get a chance... best Mexican food in the city IMO.

I'm not sure I am 100% following the directions but I will be here at 6pm tomorrow and we'll do it up

-From a work for hire ad

Look for an thread later today to offer clarity.