A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Projector Files

Flash Projector Files

Hi all.

I need to produce some video tutorials that will ultimately end up on a disc, ideally as SWF’s, for playing in the Flash Player. I want to make these as compatible as possible to most Windows systems.

Can someone explain the principal of Projector files. What would a host system need installed to play an SWF projector file.

Also, does an SWF use its own video codec, or is the original video just embedded during the conversion to SWF. If the latter is the case then I’m assuming the Host system would need the same video codec installed that was used to create the original video?

Ideally, I just want to ensure the CD tutorials play on a Windows system with the Flash Player installed without having to worry about whether various codecs, or Internet Explorer are also installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Secoast

I'm not an expert but I believe all that is required to play a swf is the latest version of flash player installed. Projectors files (.exe) are stand alone and don't require anything. Hope that helps.
    This is your brain. This is your brain on script.

the host needs nothing to view a projector file (not even the flash plugin), if you plan to have it viewable on a mac too make sure to export both pc/mac versions of the projector file. They are bigger files (they have the flaash player embedded in them) but way more reliable than an swf as many computers don't know what to do with an swf if it's not called from a browser (vista seems to have serious bugs around this)

swf's use their own codec (vp6), but it's not nessassary for the enduser to have the codec installed (wootwoot)

good luck!
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Sorry for the late response, didn't think anyone was going to reply.

Thanks for the info. I had assumed it just meant a browser was not necessary, but the lack of need for Flash Player as well is good to hear.

Thanks again.

Secoast