A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Alpha] Toytown tower defense

[Alpha] Toytown tower defense

This is the first alpha version of my current games project, Toytown tower defense. It's one of those tower defense games, which wouldn't have looked quite as generic if I'd bought it out in January, when I started it rather than now.

As you can probably see it needs a lot of work, but most of the features are in there. It has 4 different types of towers, each with different abilities and shot type, hero units, boss units, flying units, upgrades and auras that give bonuses to towers.

In the actual game getting different combinations of the auras will give cool bonuses, so as to stop people choosing one aura, but that's not in this version.

Anyway, I'm waffling. The main purpose of this alpha is to get feedback on the balance of the game - is it too hard, too easy? Are the towers evenly matched and priced? Are the heroes broadly matched? Also if you find any bugs I need to know, and whether it runs OK on your PC.

- I've had someone report to me an infinite loop bug, but in that general 'I'm not really sure what I was doing' way, so I can't replicate it myself. He did say he thought it was to do with the hero being in the corner. If you find this can you let me know the situations where it happened.

looks cool. i got an error when blasting the gremlins with the hero (i'm using the f9 player)
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

I hate bugs like this. I've never seen this myself and I've just played 30 levels without it coming up (had to stop there since I'm at work now). What browser/machine are you using?

firefox. PC 2.8ghz, 2gb, 128mb graphics
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

i got the same error, i was just clicking on the ground to move my hero.

using firefox and the beta1 flash player 9. Are there any blend modes? i've heard that blend modes can crash the new player.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Neat little game. It didn't crash for me (i just installed the newest flash player). I am also using IE7.

One thing I did find when playing the game is; I could be sitting on the tower buy menu, and getting money but the items never came avaliable until i clicked on the money sign again. (IE they were greyed out until i reclicked the money box).

Good game I like it.
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

Nope, no blend modes. You get the crash every time you click malee? I can't check my code at work, but I can tell that fixing this is going to be painful.

I saw the error couple of times when moving hero around. I would say it can happen any time you move hero.

OK, about the game:
    *basically I like the idea of hero being able to move, but in reality I never moved him
    *I also think the map too large, you will concentrate the firepower in one corner anyway so most of the area is useless
    *clicking the minimap should move main map around too
    *like already said when tower menu is opened the "Upgrade" button is not updated if you did not have anough money, but you gain enough when the menu is opened
    *the idea of power stations is interesting too in theory, but since the map is way too large and you can place them anywhere you never need to worry about the power. Just keep building new ones. Since level 1 station gives 20 energy for 50$, but ugrading them adds 30 energy for 100$ you dont want to upgrade any of them. I didnt bother to upgrade until I has 15KK+ cash and nothing to do with it.
    *Level 7 Igloo has Splash damage as undefined in Upgrade information
    *It is interesting first 30-40 levels, after that I kept building some more towers into next corner, but the enemies never got much stronger so I just left it running at highest speed (I didnt touch anything after level 70 and it ended at level 172 when I had 260kk cash). You seriously need to make the higher level enemies stronger or nobody bothers to play after level 50.
    *You can get pretty nice interest by filling some empty area with cheapest towers and setting all their auras to yellow.
    *You can also power up strongest tower by building cheap level 1 ones next to it. Raising level 7 cannon damage by +555 damage just with spending 150$ is very cheap.
    *Enemies need health bar, if you dont like it or it slows down the game, it could be optional, but i want to see it.

Overall, too much space, hero doesnt do much, enemies are way too weak at higher levels, and it needs to end sooner.

Tonypa - Cheers for the in depth reply. Were you playing it on the easy difficulty level? Because if you're not then I've made some major miscalculations. Normal may also be too easy.
    One of the reasons I made it large is that I wanted it to be neccesary to use all of the space, and for space to actually become an issue.
    The enemy health bar, yeah it was a cpu issue, but you're right and I'll probably look into doing that (once I fix that damn crashing issue)

I played easy of course, I always play at easy mode if it is available
    I also only used red aura in every attack tower. Since it increases attack by %, you get much more damage from high level tower.

The large map can be interesting, but atm I dont see it as advantage. Your ability to build new towers is mostly depending on the amount of cash you got, in small map there may be sometimes need to sell the tower to free up space for better one, but with so much space and no better towers becoming avaialable, it never happens.

What I would like to see (havent seen yet in these games) is the possible upgrade to the tower that takes large area so you would need to demolish old ones first.

Also you could try to make position of power stations more important by giving them area too and only towers within this area would be powered. This would mean you have to keep upgrading the stations since you have no space near the tower to build new station.

The auras of towers could be upgradable too. I was annoyed that I did not see the area where aura affects, it would be logical to assume it affects all towers in the range. Currently it does affect only towers next each other.

Damn, I hate the hero crash. I got to level 270 and accidentally clicked to move him (thus crashing). I could have easily done >level 1000 at the way it was going. By level 100 or so, I had the cannon towers covering the map and all fully upgraded. Then I went to lunch and just let it play. I was planning on letting it play all afternoon

great game for an alpha! i also got the bug when moving the hero.
    would be nice to see the circles around the towers in their aura color, like the hero.
    And the waves are not always increasing in difficulty. One wave got to my castle and the next one died in the middle of the road.

Thanks for playing - I've made some changes, and hopefully fixed the hero crashing bug (it was posible to divide a value by zero). If it's still crashing I'm going to cry. Can someone who's been getting the bug frequently give it a try please and tell me if it's still occuring?

I've also made some other changes, including making the enemies harder (though easy is still probably too easy).

Well, first time trying it, but no problem with the crashing bug. really good game so far!

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    I love those games and I love pixel art, just great

No errors in my firefox on mac

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Only weird thing I noticed about the hero in current version is that the hero disppears once you move close to low or right edge of the map. Didnt see the script error anymore.

I think I've got the hang of this - Level 326

Wow. A few questions-
    How does it perform on your system with that many towers? I've never gone quite that far in my testing. Is that on the easiest difficulty level? One thing I definitely didn't want was for there to be a 'best' tower, so as someone who's played it that far do you have any suggestions as to either making the other towers better or that one worse (or increasing the frequency of enemies resistent to cannon's attack)

Actually, I hacked the game to get that far by increasing the amount of starting money a bit and removed your no-stealing code (so I could start it locally, no worries, I'll never upload it or distribute it). The game is quite a bit of fun. I did it because I wanted to see how far someone could go with lots of money.

The best I can do normally is around level ~50-80. As for performance the game played great all the way to the max. I've not done too much experimenting with different towers, the cannon one works so well that I didn't go any farther. I don't think the igloo shot lasts quite long enough so I usually don't do many of those. Also, it's range is small even with upgrades.

That's quite a fun game. While I don't have anything too insightful to add, I did notice a bug or two; frequently when your hero is attacking a specific enemy, and is commanded to do something else, it will begin moving, but will stop and go back to firing at said enemy.

Also, selecting an enemy and then a building will leave the enemy's selection square on the ground where it last was.

All in all, great game.