A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logo Design - What's your opinion? (merged)

Logo Design

Hey all, I was wondering if you could critique this logo design. I have been working on it for a little while, but I'm not sure where to go with it. I want to have an accentuated, branded 'X', but I'm not sure how to get that.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Tell us what sort of company it's for. I get that it's some sort of clothing company or line, but what type of clothes and target market?

It's coming across really goth to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if that is your market. I does look squished to me though...

-Sandy

The blown-out 'X' has been done absolutely to death with all the 'Xtreme' this and that which has flooded every aspect of our lives. If this is for some kind of high-end fashion site then I would go with elegant rather than shooting for something that would work for the X-games.

Personally I would go with a sans-serif font, something with clean upscale lines.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

ie, put the 'X' back as the same as the rest of the font?

We're going for the upscale market. The teens and University students that have lots of daddy's money to spend. The girls that I am working with on this are trying to get Gucci, LV, Bebe, Lacoste, Guess, Marciano, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    ie, put the 'X' back as the same as the rest of the font?

We're going for the upscale market. The teens and University students that have lots of daddy's money to spend. The girls that I am working with on this are trying to get Gucci, LV, Bebe, Lacoste, Guess, Marciano, etc.
    I agree with Rush, then. If you are going upscale, your current incarnation doesn't reflect that to me in the slightest. I'm getting an edgy, vampire vibe from it.

-Sandy

Yep, all the same size. Let the word speak for itself. If you pick the right font then it will present the right message. I'm thinking it would look good if you either made it all exactly the same and in caps, but with a fat lot of spacing in between the letters...see how G U C C I is spaced out? Like that. Or, I would perhaps try an elegant script font for 'fashion' and still stick with the upscale sans-serif font for 'exclusive'. In this case you might try resting 'fashion' on top of 'exclusive' and see how that works out.

Just some thoughts.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I'll give it a shot this afternoon, thanks for the help Marc. You're always there for me.

Okay, so I've given this a shot with a scripted font, more space, and uniform size.

What do you think?

Personally I feel like it is a step down, but I think we can work from here.

I don't like your serif font. The engraving makes it look gothic to me. Also I think the script font should join together, since it's in cursive.

-Sandy

Okay.. I will give that a shot and see what it looks like.

I think the whole idea of "upscale" is being overlooked here by a longshot. The original logo didn't give me exclusive, it gave me clichéd.

The secondary attempt; looks quite bad due to the font treatment. I'd seriously go for a more minimalistic approach with a better set of fonts and not so much of a text treatment other than a good, decent font as the base and perhaps kerning and tracking being used to make a more dynamic, yet simple statement.

Upscale now means nigh minimal or overly ornate. Not old text treatments that even the X-Games have left behind largely. And Red does not behold elegance. It's bold. Another choice instead perhaps?

If you're hellbent on keeping a serif font, look at Kurosawa (it's a paid for font) or Dalliance, or even PT Bliss (serif) and build it around a simpler, more monolithic choice of visual icon instead. Think Polo Purple Label... or Armani A|X... those are very simple men's brands that are more exclusive and quite understated in it's logo.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I will give it a shot. I like the Armani logo.

Some of those fonts are really expensive eh?

Okay, so you're thinking something more like this, gerbs?

now you're getting there...however, no offense, it looks like a ripoff of another logo i've seen, can't place it though (too early)

No, davulf. I was saying go for something more simple, iconic, and monolithic... and somewhat more minimalistic. Not rip the Armani logo entirely.

Think of something if you saw it on a window, you'd not immediately think cheap, you'd think boutique or exclusive. And as you have it, that center "|" is entirely too thick. And the font, stretched slightly taller while pushed together - looks to be around -50% on width.

I was talking about custom creating your own font by altering a real one. Or at least use a good font as a base.

Creativity shouldn't be reduced to mimicry. You can do better.

I was just throwing that out there for critiques on how to change it. I'm aware that it is exactly the same thing.

How would one go about creating a font, and is it worth it? Because I know that I'm not very creative unless I have an idea, for this I will likely be resolved to coming up with something that is similar to something else within that style.

If you know any good software for making fonts that you use, and any advice on direction or whatnot, that would be great. As you can clearly tell (and from any of my battle images) typography is not my stronger suit.

Thanks!

Illustrator and Fontographer is my two tools of choice. Lately, been using FontLab 5.02... just not yet gotten used to it yet.

Great, I will see if I can find a trial of Fontographer or FontLab.

How would you go about doing fonts in Illustrator?

Read this. No disrespect, but I'm not the one to teach honestly. My patience is nigh-zero sometimes. Usually because I design and do things on instinct by now mostly.

That's an older, but faithful how-to; however you can skip out Adobe Streamline and use either Flash or what's built into Illustrator now for tracing if you go the handwritten or bitmap path as a start.

You can actually cheat by importing an existing *.ttf into Fontlab, then edit each and every one. Be careful to pay attention to the layout and guides, ascenders and descenders... but I'll be brutally honest.

Font making is not for everybody. And I'm not sure you're up to the task. The software isn't cheap, the process isn't quick. And honestly... I'm probably influenced by my education which showed typography as more of an art than anything else, or that I'm just that damn anal retentive on my font choices.

I'd say ignore that route personally. I've lost years to typography. Just keep plugging away and do more research on branding. As it stands, your concept even isn't finalized nor functional.

Good type on a bad project is like putting veneer on manure. It doesn't help.

I think the largest problem that we are having currently is that we need to get branding together and materials put out for brochures and whatnot before we can progress. I'm thinking that this logo creation is a first step. We're hindered by the fact that none of us are very creative, and that although I can work within Photoshop to get things done, I need to know exactly what it is that we're looking for, as my creative mind is nearly nonexistant.

That is partially the reason why I am trying to find a font that will work, and get advice on how to work it, rather than spending all this money on programs and whatnot. In all honesty, if I am going to spend money (on programs or whatever) then I would prefer to pay someone to do it for me who has access to everything, as I will likely not use it ever again. I suppose that is the unfortunate part, we get typecast into these roles that we *can* do, yet sometimes they are more difficult than we suspect.

Ultimately I want to get this stuff taken care of, but I think a contest at Worth1000 or something like that might be the best way to get this done.

What are your thoughts on that route? I would ask for your advice with regard to concept, but you are likely far too expensive .