A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I'm on the Vista train

I'm on the Vista train

I just got a new (touchscreen) laptop, and it came with Vista Home Premium. It had 1GB ram, but it was unbelievable: I had no programs running (except for the system processes) and it was using 700MB of ram. I upgraded to 2GB, and even though there's plenty of memory now, it looks like windows still open too slowly.

Besides that, It looks like a prettier XP. There are quite a bit of enhancements in explorer and the ui, but NONE of them are something to be amazed at. It looks like they did a great job to make it easier to stupid people to use windows. Everything is guided, you can save your searches (but who really searches for stuff in their own pc, don't you know where you keep your files), Aero looks cool , but I like my windows plain and simple. What purpose do transparent borders serve?

I still haven't used it much, so I haven't experienced a lot of trouble. Actually, so far, none.

But, really, it was a let down. There's nothing in Vista that could justify the upgrade.

On the other side, a touchscreen laptop is awesome. I know what I'll buy for xmas, a nice full feature tablet pc, unless Apple's new OS can beat that. Or maybe we'll see tablet macbooks in the near future?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Just wait 3 years for the new Windows...

I am going to just skip the whole Vista thing and either go OSX or get the new Windows when it comes out
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Vista Manager plus Black Viper's Vista Service Guide as well as Vista Smoker or Tweak VI and you can get it to run quite well...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I've been on the vista train for a while now, because I can't get off. I needed a new comp a few months back so I went to future shop (the canadian best buy) and picked up an hp that was on sale. I think they put a lock on the bios or something because I can't use my old copy of xp.

First thing to do with vista is turn off aero. It cute for a couple hours, then you want your memory back.

I'm getting used to it though, but there still isn't complete program compatiblity yet, which is a little irritating.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    ...maybe we'll see tablet macbooks in the near future?
    Third party mod:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Vista is like Windows Millennium edition.

Student
    I kinda miss the NT series of windows or something that is rather focused on development rather than noobs or consumers (colors, automisation, software bundle, DRM, performance wise,...)

linux with beryl makes Vista look prehistoric (looks wise)

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Vista Manager plus Black Viper's Vista Service Guide as well as Vista Smoker or Tweak VI and you can get it to run quite well...
    Thanks dude, those programs are great. Unbelievable how much crap windows has by default.

I think linux really needed to take the beryl/compiz step to make its os a bit more attractive for consumers. But I still think it's useless as a feature: look, my windows took 20 seconds to maximize, but wow, what a cool animation.

If anything, windows should have marketed vista as candy falvour of xp, not as a whole operating system.

oh boy, dream come true. That looks awesome
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.