A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you love your job?

Hybrid View

Do you love your job?

Shoot, for that matter do you even like your job. And what is it. Me I go back and forth. I am supposed to be a graphic designer yet I design maybe 3 or 4 smaller things a year. The most in depth thing I work on is a bloody catalog cover and interior design/layout. Now I say that like it is a bad thing, but I really do enjoy that when I am doing it. But, the rest of the time I am silhouetting lamps.
    I will say though that it is a good work environment and a fairly good company. But any way back to the question at hand.
    Do you honestly wake up in the morning and not mind going to work, maybe even look forward to it. If so, what do you do.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

i love my job

Vamps, who wouldn't love your job.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;

Quote Originally Posted by pea3698
    Vamps, who wouldn't love your job.

sometimes its good to be me

when i first started i had alot more to do. now iv got everything working.

im also moving so i need a new job.

but yes i like my job
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

2 to 2 . . . WOW, I actually figured the I hate my job group would be much bigger. I personally feel like i'm loosing creativity working here. But, with life the way it is right now it is smarter to sit back and sit tight. I used to PS battle a lot to flex those creative muscle but time is in such short supply now and with a new baby coming it will even be in shorter supply soon.

I personally can just deal with it. My work life seems to be blurring by and that is fine but one day it won't be. Hopefully it won't be to late cause I have a very long way till retirement.
    ------------------

depends on the day. every once in a while i feel like i love my job and others i feel absolutely bored. Been here almost 4 years and have pretty much done everything apart from being moved up, which there is no where else to go.

But, They keep throwing new and interesting projects at me which are always time-line based so i don't see the reward/commission until the project is completed, so it keeps me here...i also get a fair bit of local press which is nice for the family to see. All in all thoguh i keep saying, i want to be out by xx date, and that date passes like the wind and before i know it yet another year rolls into another one.

so in short i like my job 75% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    i like my job 75% of the time.
    that's pretty much where i'm at.

love is a strong word though. can't say i ever leap out of bed and sing hallelujah that i have another day at work. there are a lot of things i would rather do with my time, but as it stands, my job is ok.

If we talk percentages i'd say I love my job 25% of the time, don't care 50% of the time, and utterly hate it the other 25%. And yet with the possibilities of layoffs coming up it scares the hell out of me to think that I may have to find a different job or go back to painting apartments fulltime.

Thing with me is, I really love working with my hands example woodworking, painting, you know the man's work stuff. But, I also really love the sitting at a desk and designing things. I have never been 100% content doing just one or the other. If there was a job that merged the two I think I would be in hog heaven.

Sorry, I lied. I loved my first job. I was a Lead Communications Designer. I pretty much had free reign and my work place was great. Then I got laid off. and they got bought out. Bleh. Now that I look back at it I was really happy there. That job is actually the only reason I found FK.
    ------------------

If we talk percentages i'd say I love my job 25% of the time, don't care 50% of the time, and utterly hate it the other 25%. And yet with the possibilities of layoffs coming up it scares the hell out of me to think that I may have to find a different job or go back to painting apartments fulltime.
    If you have that negative a feeling about your current job, why are you worried about layoffs?

The best thing that ever happened to me was when I was made redundant from a job I hated but was just too easy to stay in. Got a nice little payout, went for a few months before finding another job, but had time to have a WHOLE think of what was really important to me with regards to the work+life equation, and the answer was strongly against getting sucked into the fulltime corporate job type thing again.

And hence here I am an Africa pursuing a dream while remote freelance designing.

Though even if this project didn't work out, and I went back to the "real" world , I would probably look at running my own company, something I thought about for ages in my "previous" life, but just wasn't ready to take the jump. Sometimes it's too easy being "safe", even if you're hating what you're doing. But I for one can recommend taking that jump. There's ALWAYS a way to make enough to pay the bills, and after that life should be about pursing your dreams. If you're not, then what a waste of the short time you have on this planet. IMHO.

The motto I live by:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 07-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

--===00OO00===--
    Heh, I'm alot more likely to get laid off than you. You actually do stuff at work.

I like my job though. It's easy, and alot better than what I used to do so I cant really complain.

What does vamp do btw? (I would have said nothing based on his loving his job till I read the other responses.)
    "For an assassin he...he is pretty nice." ~The Darkness that Comes Before

The Catalyst Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleniatari
    What does vamp do btw? (I would have said nothing based on his loving his job till I read the other responses.)
    I answered this here at work
    ------------------

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    I've been working from home for 4 years now, doing web stuff and design. Don't make much money, but get by. The plus for me is I can always find time to look after the grandchildren - this afternoon my daughter-in-law asked if I could have Dylan for a couple of hours, so we walked to the park and the shops. and made cardboard helmets when we got home. Probably why I don't make much money, too busy enjoying life. I worked in studios and print works for 35 years and don't miss that at all.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    My job rocks!

75/25
    Its low stress but poorly managed. I have a cool job but I'm underpaid. I have a timeline to be out of there but it requires no major set backs which I seem to be a magnet for.
    Ultimately I do what I love but a certain part of that is due to not being complacent in prior jobs.

i love my jobs. i feel so lucky because i've always had a creative job...i can't imagine the alternatives.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

For me it's 80% hate/ 20% love... I hate the group I'm in, and the corporate games that they play. I also hate the way it's managed and am not real pleased with most of the work I get to do (I write policies and procedures and am in charge of the company's new hire orientation/onboarding and elearning initiatives). I love the company though, and I have a lot of freedom to do what I want throughout the day. I'm just too comfortable and have got myself into a deep rut, and don't see 100% how I'm gonna get out of it yet. I've been with this company going on 11 years (in October) and am afraid that I won't be able to get the same pay/benefits if I were to leave. If I just had me to worry about, I'd do it in a hearbeat, but I have a family to support.

I'm working on a plan now to realistically get out/go back to school/ and start over doing something that I really want to do (graphic/web design), but we're planning on moving next year so my son can go to a better school district, so my focus is not on myseld at the moment.

So in short, hate my job (mostly) but love my family.

-Sandy
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

Nikonist
    I'm self employed...think I better love my job
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

SandyRivers you hit the nail on the head. My benefits rock right now. and with a just shy of 1 year old and another one due in Sept. benefits can not be given up. Yes my wife could get them at her work but we really want her to be able to stay home for a couple of years. So it pretty much boils down to make the best of what I have now.

And you know in a week from now I will be having a good spell and have myself convinced that I like my job. Honestly, I was happy until the company started doing poorly. Then that added fear got me thinking. Also. I don't want to work two jobs anymore. I want to enjoy my children like a normal adult with a 8 - 5 job. I think that if I could provide while enjoying my family I would be much happier all around.

I would like to teach but don't have enough college. I would love to try my hand in real estate. Bah I could talk all day, but at the end of the day I want to be happy and I want my family to be proud of me. But I guess that is everybody.
    ------------------