A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: resize image on load

loller,

I'm already doing it this way. I've got a batch automation process in photoshop that takes all my images and crops,color corrects, and saves as 2 separate dimensions and qualities. But, I new that there was another way to do it that might be easier once I set it up, and may look better. Well, my goals were that it would be easier and look better. And, it does look better using the bitmapData method. Now that I've got it working I'm just trying to get it effecient enough to replace my old method. So, if I never get this way to work better then I will continue using my old method(like whispers suggested). Just trying to stay on top of things .

Like gparis said, once the bitmaps are in there is no waiting for them to load when you click on the thumbnail. This method, if tweaked right, isn't any heavier than bringing in two images as long as the users processor can handle it. At least I haven't seen that it is yet.

I'm still not set on using bitmapData.draw to do my bidding. I may stick with my old way. But, I've come so far already I might as well finish it and try to make it work for me. If I never get it to be efficient enough then I'll scrap it and keep my old way and use this method for something else.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

mneil, in the case of a dial-up user, You could have your application pick up the images in another more "lo-res" folder. Either you detect their connection (tricky) or you ask them to choose. The only problem they have is the first download of the set of pictures. If you manage to 'save for web' each of them around 30 kbs, it shouldn't be too bad.

gparis

As I've got them now they are under 20k a piece. And, I'm going to do mulitple swf's (5 exactly), each one loading no more than 12 pictures, I'll probably only do no more than 9.
    The idea of doing two versions is a possibility. The only thing I see with that is the app is like a mini site located on the main site and it might make people weary of bothering with it unless it starts automatically. Detecting is another possibility but like you said, tricky, and not always accurate.

whispers, I know this isn't really pertaining to this post; but, I'm finishing up my expanding ad and was wondering about something. When it drops down it goes automatically, but I have a tween animation for the dropdown. I'm worried about how this will look on the page because I don't have transparent background. So, to get around this I thought about using setInterval with my onRollOver to call my java update function once every 100 milliseconds. How intensive is that? Or do you guys think it will even be a big deal? I put up a test at:

http://www.webmakerx.net/Images/Site...esizeTest.html

dude i have a 2.75 ghZ processor and it put it at 50% for about 2 seconds so say most users have 1.7 ghz processors so it would put those at 100% for about 2 seconds since it doesn't need to constantly max out the processor i would say its acceptable the trick to setInterval is to clearInterval after the interval is done doing whatever it needed to do....at any rate your application isn't maxing out the processor for any length of time which would cause concearn the only time i would be concearned is if it always has the processor at 100% or causes the browser to crash at any given time.
    ~calmchess~

I ran photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, explorer, firefox, and outlook express while streaming music over the web with cable modem and 2.53 ghz processor and only got it to hit 55%. And that was a spike I only got 1 time out of about 20 tries. So it's good to know it's hitting about 50% spike. And yes, I'm clearing the interval after the tween. I imported Tween and use onMotionFinished() to clear and reset on rollOver or rollOut.