A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butterflies For ALL - Open Battle

Butterflies For ALL - Open Battle

Hi, I had been visiting flashkit.com for a long time (using another alias which I have forgotten the username and pass for.. and no longer have the email it was linked too).

I accidently jumped in on the Darkness vs. BlueSmaurai bout until I was told it was a private battle. The opening serve used butterflies.. I had alot of fun working up a submission and had countless other ideas so I thought I would start a battle for the rest of us.

Butterflies For All

- Must have butterflies, carrying over previous content is acceptable but not required
    - 800*600
    - friendly file sizes
    - Rotation allowed
    - 2 day turnarounds (this is my first battle posting, if 2 days seems to tight let me know)

FIGHT!

Serve

I'm working on an image now. I'm not reserving a place here or anything, just letting everyone know I'm actually going to do something for once .

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Looking forward to seeing it.

OG I love the serve! Its got the war of the worlds kinda vibe to it. (atleast thats how it strikes me) I will toss up another butterfly image here sometime this week.

Keep up the good work, this should turn into a great open battle.

Hey BlueSamurai, thanks for the compliment and thanks for the inspiration of your original peice. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

TheOG... quite honestly that's a mighty fine image. Just a few unclean and aliased edges, some color bleeding and a few other minor composition mistakes - the lead butterfly isn't as clean as I'd expect because the focus is on it... but the choice to go without text was very wise.

I think the use of Difference in a few places works against you in a bit... but honestly, the piece has a very whimsical, chaotic, yet almost structured appeal to it.

Glad you decided to share with us your talent. Can't wait to see what's next up in this battle.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks for the critique gerbick.. you've got forensic eyes picking out the use of difference. All points gladly taken. As far as text goes, I deffinitely like my work to carry a story by themselves.. if possible. Will you be contributing to this battle?

I didn't really know where else to go with this, it's kind of lame and empty in my opinion.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

Hey VIRGo_RK, I think you were heading in the right direction. Your right I think it is kind of empty, but the character and lighting are pleasing.. maybe refine the cocoon a little more, some shadow so it feels like it's in the scene with the body. Or rotate the canvas and have the body and cocoon centered upside down with bits of the cocoon pulling away with the body... thinking outloud, but I like were you were going.

Some sweet references : http://images.google.com/images?svnu...coon+butterfly
    Last edited by TheOG; 08-02-2007 at 04:38 PM.

I've got butterflies on the brain. Enjoy.

-_-
    Sweet image man! Looks really nice.

Thanks.. I've never done the battle thing before and some how restricting the subject matter has really got the ideas flowing, not sure if other people experience the same thing. I generally have a very hard time doing anything creative just for myself, so I'm really enjoying this and I've got a few more ideas I'm going to work on so I hope to see some other warriors in the arena.

Give me some time... I'd like to take my shot at this. As it stands, I'm trying to handle three sites at once... and doing badly.

By Sites do you mean websites or other arena challenges?
    No rush on the vollies.

Cheers

He's working on a lot of web projects, it would appear.

My contribution: Corel Draw.
    As per issues with pc I have no idea how long I spent on this total, so Im gonna guess and say 2-3 hours.

Simple wire frame attached for those who are interested.
    Last edited by Natsia; 03-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Wow.. that is beautiful. The the flow of the wings and background shapes really keeps the moving and the face seems to float out of the negative space.. delicate like a butterfly. Excellent submission.

The theme was good so I did a quick doodle then committed it to an illustration.
    Thanks.

Amazing picture. Just a couple of minor critiques... bah. They'd be nitpicks.

Lovely.