A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [GAME] Torque

[GAME] Torque

Hi, I recently made a game and was wanting to see what you all thought.

Here is the link: Torque

Enjoy, and feedback is welcome.

I find the mouse controls somewhat annoying in that once you adjust the mousewheel to rotate the paddle, ANY movement, even a pixel of the paddle will reset it's orientation.

In a game where speed is an issue, coming to a pixel perfect standstill, THEN adjusting the rotation is frustrating.

I would suggest that the mousewheel adjust the relative angle of the paddle compared to an imaginary radial line, and then that relative angle STAYS as you move the mouse around.

Otherwise, interesting take on a breakout style game.

Thanks for the feedback Alluvian. I think this is a case of "you can't please everyone" because I've added and removed this option a few times due to user feedback. What I ended up with is the way it is and an option in the options menu to not auto rotate the paddle once it moves. Check it out and see if you like the option. Some other users prefer using the mouse to move and the arrow keys to rotate. I think most people only play a few levels so it doesn't much matter, but the hard core users tend to mess with the custom controls. It is possible to pass most of the levels in a few seconds since you can get very accurate shots using the paddle rotation.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Student
    not the first time i´ve seen this kind of game made with flash. The framerate is like 10 - 8 fps here (PIII computer) - perhaps give some additional options like quality - or leave at least the context menu for the anti-alias level.

Graphics are somewhat uninspired but they do fit together to some extend. Maybe it´s just the background but something doesn´t fit imo.

Knows where you live
    I don't know why, but the frame rate gets massacred.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Really? That's odd. I just tried it out and it seems a little slower than usual, but not much... and I don't see a surge in traffic. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Frame rate was fine here. My beef was that 1) there's no way to lose 2) the music gets annoying 3) no other sounds and 4) What's with the "your ball is stuck" message? I played through level 16 and then gave up because I didn't see an end and the music was driving me crazy.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

ImprisonedPride,

It is true that there is no way to lose. The purpose is to get the best time. There are 25 levels, so you were more than halfway there. As for the music, I personally think it is one of the high points of the game, it was composed by a VERY reputable music producer (you can see some of the artists he's worked with on his website www.roninmusic.com). But I understand that it is not for everyone... thus the almighty mute button . Thanks for checking it out and letting me know of your thoughts. I actually thought about having other sounds like the ball bouncing etc.. I may still add that.

Nice, interesting game. I agree with Alluvian and ImprisonedPride, however; the paddle should remain rotated even when it moves, and there should be a way to lose, such as when the ball passes the edge of the screen.

Also, I find it kind of odd that when I move the paddle into the ball by going left and right, it spazzes out inside the paddle for a bit. I suppose it doesn't cause any actual problems for gameplay (although it would if the game were losable), but it's mildly disconcerting.