A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Spam checking

Multitouch Aficionado

Spam checking

Yesterday, I replied to a girl's question about custom cursors. She responded, and I replied again, but this time, I got a nasty spam check message:

Your message may not appear immediately. Please do not repost it. IF IT CONTAINED SPAM IT WILL NEVER APPEAR!
    I just tested it in another thread and had the same issue. Is this really neccessary? I occasionally ask a question, but I spend most of my time here helping other people learn AS3. I've been around for well over a year; I crossed the 100 post mark the other day. Do I really fit the profile of a spammer? I don't even link to my own page, let alone some grey-market site for penis pills and car insurance.

I'm glad the FlashKit is being proactive about spam control, but the new filter is more of an interruption than an aid to our community. If spam is a problem, apply the filter to the new guys. After they have 15 spam-free posts, take it off. Filtering honest members' messages just frustrates them and gives the monitors more work to do.

Well, what you suggest is exactly what we do, but unfortunately the message one sees after posting does not allow that same flexibility. The software doesn't provision for showing different messages to users with different post counts. Sorry if it seems terse, and I can certainly edit it.

Multitouch Aficionado
    Before, it posted instantly and redirected to your new post.

Now, it seems there's a slight delay. Couldn't the PHP be modified such that if the user's post amount is higher than the threshold, it runs the old script (which posts instantly and redirects properly)?

I have Safari for Windows which sometimes cuts posts off. It was nice when it redirected to my post so I could double-check that it posted properly.

Thanks.

EDIT: Hey, it works now. =)

Hmm, that's odd. I didn't change anything. Well the forum was very slow before, I suppose that could have had something to do with it.