A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] 2 issues: Photoshop importing w/alpha; exporting to mov file, frames double

[F8] 2 issues: Photoshop importing w/alpha; exporting to mov file, frames double

Hi, I'm looking into upgrading from Flash MX 2004 to Flash CS3 and am currently using the demo version.

The Photoshop import feature seems like it could be really useful, but it seems that any layer with a partially transparent areas has parts of the layers below it copied into its partially transparent areas. Any partially transparent areas with no image in layers below seem to be fine. Is there a way to not have this partial flattening without moving everything so nothing overlaps? Having everything stay aligned would be a huge advantage to importing Photoshop files.

Another thing I've noticed happening is some frames are doubled when exporting to a Quicktime movie file, so if there's a smooth tween, it might get stuck somewhere in the middle for a frame. The frame rate of the Flash file matches the frame rate of the export, and I can't think of any other reason why this would be happening.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed to death, but I did try searching the forum and didn't find anything. That second issue is a serious problem. Can anyone tell me how to fix it or if it's a known bug?

Here's a test showing both problems.

test 1

Notice that as the arm swings outward, there is a position held for two frames (22 and 23), even though it is a continuous motion tween.

Also notice that in the tip of the hair, a piece of the shirt is visible, moving along with the hair.

Render with old Flash version Render with new Flash version

So here, notice that at the beginning of the motion, one frame is tripled, and later on, another frame is doubled, so by the end of the clip, the sound is out of sync by three frames. Also, the first frame is held for several frames for no reason. I'm not sure if it's very noticeable, but you can see very thin lines around the edges of the body parts, for example, around the jaw.

And lastly, I notice that when importing the renders into Final Cut Pro, the Flash renders are shown as 10fps, and they play at 10fps, but when put into a 30fps timeline and rerendered, the skipped frames are actually there.

I am very confused with all this, and I'm also confused why no one else is bringing this up. Somebody, please, shed some light on this.

I'm sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I really need to know what's going on with this.

Well, now the trial period has expired. I wish anyone had said anything.