A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PC files to MAC and back again?

Busy doing nothing Boris the Frog's Avatar

PC files to MAC and back again?

Probably a completely dumbQ. I am looking at getting a Macbook or Pro if I can so that I can freelance - will buy a CS3 bundle.
    Question is - if I am working with a company that has PC files can I use them -work on them and then send them back, so that they can work on them as well?
    The file going from PC to MAC and back again?
    I'm rather MAC ignorant, but I think it would be a better platform to work on.
    Any ideas?
    I appreciate your tolerance for my dumb question.
    --------------------------------------------------
    ‘There is no emoticon to express how I am feeling’ - Comic Book Guy
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

I do that all of the time, go from PC to Mac and back to my PC with files from the CS2/CS3 suite all of the time.

Just make sure that you have all of the same fonts. That's the only problem that I consistently run into.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Really that's it? Fonts? Fantastic! That's taken a worry off me - then there is nothing standing in the way of my MAC future - cheers Gerbick
    OK - Actionscript 3 here I come - gulp!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

An Englishman in Frankfurt Jimbrowski's Avatar
    Yeah I find font hiccups are the only pain involved.......

My PC hiccups every time because I use Bauhaus for part of my branding.

I have "Bauhaus Std" on my Mac, but flip it to my PC and HICCUP..... I have to swap it to "Bauhaus"...... every bloody time.....

It's no biggie though

Jimmy

Fonts I can cope with I have finally decided on getting the powerbook - the CS3 bundle wants at least 2GB to run which sucks, so I can't get anything smaller. It wants 2GB just to run flash - which seems crazy, it better be worth it.

Why didn't anyone mention bout PC not recognising files without extension?

Where i work, I keep running into mac files which have no extension in its filename and I'm left to figure out which program works with it.

So yeah, remember those filename extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Googooboyy
    Where i work, I keep running into mac files which have no extension in its filename and I'm left to figure out which program works with it.
    ok - so I copy them over from the mac to the pc and then add the extension back on. Will the Mac ignore extensions when the files come from the PC with them?

Yes, you can leave the file extension on, macs will use them as well as other file metadata.
    Sam