A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My first raise, how much should I ask for?!

My first raise, how much should I ask for?!

Hello all,

I've been working with a Flash developer as an assistant for 14 months, setting up Fla files, organizing photos, optimizing images. Now I'm to the point I can code some decently complex stuff, like photo galleries to full websites. I can't do XML and video stuff, yet though. But throw me a PSD and you'll have a pretty cool, smoothly animated site. I can pretty much pump anything out without error, but it's not going to be ultra dynamic or anything. Right now I'm at the point of building fluid layouts that resize depending on the users resolution, then loading different elements in depending on importance, placing them, then moving them when someone maximizes their window or whatever... I'm pretty good at Frame animation too.

Anyways, we're doing good (just did Marilyn Mansons site) and we have plently of business. I'm having my review tomorrow and I'm unsure of what to expect. Right now I'm making like 33k a year without any benefits, so hopefully I will be getting a decently large raise as I've improved my skill ALOT, and have constantly became more helpful. I want to be a developer like my boss, not a kid assistant anymore. The thing is I'm really not confident in myself, so I'm looking for a ballpark on what someone of my level (intermediate) should be making. There's of course other factors, as my drive is 80 miles every day, and again...no healthcare.

Maybe I'm just writing this because I'm unconsciously rehearsing, but what do you all think?

I can't remember the link, but if you google 'salary comparison' and/or similar you should find at least a couple of sites that have listings for what various occupations pay in different areas based on skill level. You can print it out and take it will you to the interview to show them what standard rates are in your field and geographic area.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Just my personal thoughts, but I wouldn't even consider a job less than 60k a year. There are too many good jobs out there. You could make 33k working at McDonald's. I'd quite and leave. Speaking of which, if you want some freelance work, contact me.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Yeah dude, you're getting raped for $33k/year. Like caleb said, you can make that working pretty close to minimum wage.

Programming is a skilled trade and SHOULD be paid accordingly. I pay my freelancers on average $35-$50/hr depending on how skilled they are and what kind of work they will be doing, as well as other factors. How well their communication skills are and all those other good things.

Where are you located at, by the way? That also makes a huge difference in salaries. Where you are, there may be 0 demand for Flash and that's why your salary is so low.

actually if he works 50 out of 52 weeks a year and 40 hours a week hes making close to $17 an hour, but thats really low for what your doing.

i would tell him/ her that you feel that you have become very valuable to the company and have helped to bring buisness into the company with your skills and you feel that a decent raise is in store for your self. i think that asking for a 30000 raise is quite alot at one time, dont say I want a $15000 raise, say something like "all im asking for is $5 more an hour", that sounds way better. With just $5 more an hour working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks your going to bring in about $10000 more a year. And make shure to ask for benefits.

of course you could ask for more "per hour", that was just an example