A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button play random layer animation?

Button play random layer animation?

Firs thing version Flash 8
    I hope this is the right place to post it, random functions are under math so I assume it is.
    I have no idea how to do this, I have some basic knowledge of C++ but it does not help me here.
    I want a button to do a random number, and based on that number it will set a variable, and play animations on specified layers.

if you cant help, maybe someone could just give me a resource, on doing random numbers, and setting variables?

Here's how you make a variable of type Number (equivalent to C's double)

Code:
    var x:Number;
    you can then set it like so:

Code:
    x = 10;
    To get a random number, use the Math.random() function. This returns a floating point # between 0 and 1.

You can then scale that number to have a wider range. For example, here's how you'd get a random (whole) number between 0 - 10

Code:
    var x:Number = Math.round(Math.random()*10)
    I'm not sure what you mean by playing an animation in a certain layer. In flash you can't really tell what layers objects are in by code. You can control them by the name of the movieclips though
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

RE: random numbers

Now im curious, how do random numbers in Flash/action script work? C++ random numbers arent truly random, but you can modify a script to multiply random number, and get a variable from checking the actual time, that way every second you would get a new number, otherwise if you simply did random number if you restarted a program you would notice the same pattern every time, not truly random.
    does the random script in flash/acitonscript need to be modified that way as well?

From what I understand, Flash works very similarly, but is a bit more 'automated'.

In lower level languages I guess you'd need to 'seed' the generator with some value which will dictate the pattern (after all it's a function where different inputs will give you different outputs). Flash seeds the generator automatically every time the application starts.. and my best guess would be that it just uses the current time

For more info I'd refer you here
    http://lab.polygonal.de/2007/04/21/a...enerator-prng/
    Last edited by ozmic66; 09-07-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune