A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] WARNING: Button/Movie Code

resolved [RESOLVED] WARNING: Button/Movie Code

I'm opening someone else's file and when I go to save as AS3 it is giving me this:

WARNING: Actions on button or MovieClip instances are not supported in ActionScript 3.0. All scripts on object instances will be ignored.

Is there an easy way to find out where this mysterious piece of code is hidden? I just want to stop the warning.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Yeah, you're not just going to be able to open up an old AS2 document and save it as AS3. AS3 is a whole new beast that will require you to rewrite the file.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendIsATaco
    Yeah, you're not just going to be able to open up an old AS2 document and save it as AS3. AS3 is a whole new beast that will require you to rewrite the file.
    Yes, I've been doing that.
    I commented everything out and am slowly rebuilding.

But how can I find this hidden code? Even if I copy and paste all the graphic elements, the code is going to come with it.

Will moderate for beer
    Scripts should appear in the MovieExplorer. Should be easier than manually poking through instances.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TonsOfFlax
    Scripts should appear in the MovieExplorer. Should be easier than manually poking through instances.
    That was an EXCELLENT suggestion.
    I completely forgot about that thing.

Sadly, there is no object with code on it. The warnings just keep popping up to make me crazy; every time I publish. I even tested by putting code on a button to make sure it shows up in Movie Explorer - it does.

I'm just going to turn off warnings.
    Either that or copy everything into a new file.

Thanks.

Same problem here. Warning is making me crazy.
    (why Flash wouldn't trace to the offending object right there...)

Movie Explorer can't find its own butt half the time, and anything being ignored I wouldn't expect it to find, and it doesn't.
    Find & Replace is better, but still can't find and thing with "on..." that is probably on the object.

I searched EVERY object I copied over from an old project and can't find any AS on them for the life of me.

HELP!!!

Any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark, but there could be action script on a MC or button nested inside a MC. Movie Explorer will only show the AS on the main time line, not inside MC’s.

Searching Every object included drilling down into every layer of every movie clip. Amazing that Movie Explorer can have such blind spots.