A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] dynamic image resizing

Flash Developer

resolved [RESOLVED] dynamic image resizing

Hi. I just have a question about dynamic runtime image resizing - it's primarily used, or I would use it, for full browser image (fullscreen). And I have done this, that's not the problem. I'm just curious as to quality control and smoothing.. Take a look at this site: http://filippasmedhagensund.com/ when you stop on an image, it is smoothed and looks perfect quality no matter what you resize the window too. BrookPifer.com also had it like that but for some reason the site doesn't work now. Does anyone know how the quality remains so good? When I do it - when the image is at original size, it looks perfect quality, but when I size the window down and thus the image resizes down, the image looks jittery, for example, curves in the image and sometimes jittery as if the anti-alias has just failed or something.. Anyone know what they did and I didn't do? And I'm also curious as to why it looks like the example website I mentioned looks like it has some smoothing (light blurring) when you stop on an image - so if anyone knows why that is, please share. Would be much appreciated. Thanks,
    Christian

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    the smoothing is achieved through a BitmapData object.

Just set the BitmapData.smoothing = true;

Or, if your image is placed on the timeline directly from within the IDE, open up the properties of the image, and there is a checkbox for Allow Smoothing i believe.

Flash Developer
    Thanks man. I'm new to AS3 - can you use AS2 and 3 in the same FLA/SWF? Can I use that tiny bit of AS3 code and the rest AS2? Is there any way to do the smoothing in AS2? Thanks again.

Flash Developer
    Hey, just not to waste your time (or anyone else willing to help), I know in AS2 I could probably convert a image on the stage to a bitmap object, but how can I apply smoothing to a image when it is dynamically loaded in?? Thank you.

Flash Developer
    Okay, this bug has been a problem for many people and there is a simple solution thanks to the new Flash Player (I think since version 8.5) - so if anyone is interested or having problems with this as well, using AS2, the best thing to do is use MovieClip.forceSmoothing = true; it's that easy.. hehe Thanks Taco though,
    Christian