A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash PDF Viewer

Flash PDF Viewer

I'm looking for a flash PDF reader/viewer that will allow PDFs to be viewed. I have a very large PDF file, and it would be much easier to read through it live, rather than waiting to download the entire document (it's a few hundred pages long with a fair amount of graphics).

Is there something out there that would allow me do to that? I would think that this is something where I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Flash PDF Viewer

Hi,

Here is one solution that can help you: http://lvolume.net/

Check out here sample presentation with a lot of graphics and 244 pages: http://book.blueplanetrun.org

Cheers

Here's a great open source alternative

http://www.devaldi.com/?page_id=260

two methods:
    1.link to the pdf. in Flash: on(release){getURL("mypdf.pdf", "_blank");}
    2.pdf to flash converter: http://www.axmag.com/ upload your files to get free online conversion.
    Last edited by seanfts; 07-24-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfts View Post
    two methods:
    1.link to the pdf. in Flash: on(release){getURL("mypdf.pdf", "_blank");}
    2.pdf to flash converter: http://www.axmag.com/ upload your files to get free online conversion.
    The code didn't work out, at least for me. But I believe thats totally dependent on how the users computer is set up. If they don't have Adobe Reader, it will probably fail, or will attempt to load the pdf within a modern browser that should have the reader plug-in.

The online conversion can be a good option to me.
    Last edited by MarcosCoon; 11-03-2010 at 04:44 AM.

How you go about this really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you need to be able to show lots of different PDFs, that users can upload and other users can view? Do you care if people can print them out? Do you need the PDFs to be indexed, searchable, etc? Do CMYK PDF files have to work?

There's no way to simply view a PDF in Flash. The solutions shown here either convert a PDF to an SWF, which can then be loaded up and displayed with FlashPaper or lvolume's viewer code; or else they just download the PDF file for the user.

We had to do a custom solution for this once, to make it difficult for someone to download a whole PDF file, but make them readable to certain users online. We used the ps2image kit on the server side to image one page of the PDF at a time. And for documents we wanted to index, we had our creator upload them to the system along with a plaintext version with custom markup showing section headers to index, which we stored in a DB. We use Flash just to display the tools to move through the document, but it only comes in one JPG at a time off the server, and the image is then destroyed. However, this is for a system where employees are only allowed secured on-site access, and the goal was paranoia, to prevent these documents from leaking. Probably overkill for what you need.

take a look at the open source viewer flexpaper, it does the job quite nicely;

http://flexpaper.devaldi.com

Quote Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
    take a look at the open source viewer flexpaper, it does the job quite nicely;

http://flexpaper.devaldi.com
    This just adds the controls to view a swf that you still have to create using someting like swf2pdf, not to mention it cost 85 if you want to not have their logo or to use it commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by joshstrike View Post
    How you go about this really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you need to be able to show lots of different PDFs, that users can upload and other users can view? Do you care if people can print them out? Do you need the PDFs to be indexed, searchable, etc? Do CMYK PDF files have to work?

There's no way to simply view a PDF in Flash. The solutions shown here either convert a PDF to an SWF publication, which can then be loaded up and displayed with FlashPaper or lvolume's viewer code; or else they just download the PDF file for the user.

We had to do a custom solution for this once, to make it difficult for someone to download a whole PDF file, but make them readable to certain users online. We used the ps2image kit on the server side to image one page of the PDF at a time. And for documents we wanted to index, we had our creator upload them to the system along with a plaintext version with custom markup showing section headers to index, which we stored in a DB. We use Flash just to display the tools to move through the document, but it only comes in one JPG at a time off the server, and the image is then destroyed. However, this is for a system where employees are only allowed secured on-site access, and the goal was paranoia, to prevent these documents from leaking. Probably overkill for what you need.
    Agree. Convert PDF to swf, or flash publication is a good solution, there are so many tools available, Kvisoft Flipbook Maker Pro can help you convert PDF to flash magazine with video, images embedded. XFlip can help you convert PDF to standalone swf file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailsa00 View Post
    Agree. Convert PDF to swf, or flash publication is a good solution, there are so many tools available, Kvisoft Flipbook Maker Pro can help you convert PDF to flash magazine with video, images embedded. XFlip can help you convert PDF to standalone swf file.
    I agree too. This is the best solution from all that I know
    Emocni.pl - interactive agency - www.emocni.pl

Quote Originally Posted by Ailsa00 View Post
    Hi, Ailsa.
    Thanks for your nice sahring. It is appreciated very much.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    evenpan did you have a h@bbo account with that name

Not the same thing though.

Never tired but Flowpaper can be a good option.

Thanks for your nice sahring. It is appreciated very much.

Quote Originally Posted by noelon View Post
    Never tired but Flowpaper can be a good option.
    it still works fine. Thank you..