A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Yet another preloader problem

Yet another preloader problem

I have a movie with a preloader script and a VERY small animation on the first frame.

The second frame has a large background image, and 4 smaller images that are loaded dynamically from the library to container clips, with 3 of them animating in using the tween class.

The preloader works perfectly, but the animation on the first frame isn't visible until about 40% of my movie is loaded. I even tried loading the animation from an external swf and get the same result.

The only way I can get it to display immediately, is if I go to linkage for all of the dynamically loaded images and uncheck "Export in first frame". But if I do this those images fail to load.

I could just put those images directly in the timeline, but there are actually 2 sets of 4 image that load randomly, therefore I would have to put both sets in the timeline, significantly increasing file size and load time.

http://pat.theorigin.net cresquin's Avatar
    you'll have to break your movie in to a few swfs. one to act as a container that has your small animation and another that has your big load. Then you'll need to use loadMovie or MovieClipLoader to load your big load into your smaller swf.

So, my main movie would have a layer with the preload animation and an AS layer to load the movie with the photos.

The movie with the photos would stay formatted pretty much the same, except without the preload animation.

Then I don't even really have to stop the preload animation, because once my photo movie loads, it will be on a higher level and cover it up.

Correct?

you don't want to use levels, rather create an empty movieclip on the stage and use that as a placeholder for your second swf. you can use the code myMovieClip.loadMovie("myNewSwf.swf") to load the second movie into the first.

That's kind of what I meant.

Weather I lod it to a level, or to a container movie clip on a higher layer, it will load on top of the loader animation.

it can be, but it doesn't have to be. You CAN have the empty movieClip at a lower Depth than your pre-load animation.