A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: operating system in flash (or projector .exe)

Working On An Online RPG grimm 88's Avatar

operating system in flash (or projector .exe)

hi, i know that it is pretty much impossible to create something that even resembles an OS in flash... but a few seperate functions that i was wondering wether it would be possible to do would be:

can you open folders and workspace explorer inside a .swf or .exe file, and can you open web pages inside a .swf or .exe file...?

just wondering because i was thinking of a project that could involve these things

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    You can do alot of that stuff but not using Flash alone. You will need a third party tool like SWF Studio. It allows you to access the file system and do other system functions.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

whoah!!! thanks a lot!!!

seems like i will have to learn their programming language aswell though to do this... u know of anywhere i can learn the code for swf studio???

The help documents with SWF Studio are really good as are their help forums, and their examples. It's really not all that hard to learn.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

ok... well are u sure that you can open internet windows inside flash without it opening in another window??? that's one of my main priorities...

With SWF Studio you can embed IE and Mozilla browsers into your Flash. Look at the browser example on their website.
    Jason L. Wright

i did look at the browser examples, but while i was 'building' it, it came up with some error saying 'cannot open file fd342890rrj304jtwp549h' or something like that with a really long name...

i tried three of the browser type examples and they all came up with the same error message, but i know its not my swf studio app because i tested making a screensaver out of one of my old flashes and it worked fine...

edit: i did find one that does work... but am still trying to figure out how to edit it for my own purposes, atm it only displays an acrobat reader page, a turning dog and a custom internet page..
    Last edited by grimm 88; 09-28-2007 at 02:16 AM.

That error is weird. You may want to post over on the Northcode forums about it...or wait for Northcode to chime in here. He is the moderator of this forum.
    Jason L. Wright

ok, i hope that northcode reads this and can help me with it because this error really has me stumped...

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I thnk you're running into a bug with the latest version of SWF Studio and some of our old examples. It's caused when you try to use a version 6 SWF (like our examples do). If you check the "upgrade to SWF8 format" on the Movies Tab of the example projects then the error should go away.

That problem has been corrrected in the internal development build and will be included in the next release.

wow thanks northcode, i will try that out right now... its a great honour to have you post on one of my threads

love swf studio... keep up the good work!

edit: it worked... now i know what to do if i get this error again... thanks again northcode!
    Last edited by grimm 88; 10-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.

swf studio works just great ......

@grimm 88 .... i am working almost on the same project which u have mentioned ...

& this softy is helping me a lot .......