A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making 3D enviroement

Making 3D enviroement

Hi!

I wonder how you make 3D enviroement, so that the stick-figures can move at any direction, like xiao xiao xiao, specially that part when he jumps through the glaswindow and the matrix-scene... the "camera" goes around the scene?

If you create a 3D environment within Swift3D, understand that it will be static and not real-time. Meaning basically what's there, will stay there until you animate/render within Swift3D.

What a lot of people have done that I've seen that's quite successful is that an isometric - angled usually up and at 45 degrees - or something like so. That would allow you to create the illusion of walking in and out/up and down in an angle, in and out of the scene.

Via masks, you could create the illusion of going behind objects. Just a thought.

There's plenty of different ways to accomplish this. This is just perhaps one.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Student
    what gerbick didn´t knew is that Unknown1101 is propably the same person that created earlier a thread about creating movies like xiao xiao.

Not really touched Swift3d myself (or at least I didn´t gave it a try after a few times)- but I did things before with 3dsmax and a plugin like swfit3d, illustrate or the now onlcuded toon shader. They all allow you to render the images (of a animation) as flash vector drawings- so you can later import it into flash.

but for that you need build everything of what you see from shapes in 3d space. The stick figure could be build with cylinders and the head with a sphere and so on.

as for swift 3d I guess it´s way easier as 3dsmax but it might also be more limited. For example I dont know how well the camera can be animated,- if you can setup the pivot or gegistration marks of 3d objects and so on.

perhaps first have a look at the swift 3d website on what´s available (standalone and plugins) and what can be done with it
    http://www.erain.com/

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    what gerbick didn´t knew is that Unknown1101 is propably the same person that created earlier a thread about creating movies like xiao xiao.
    No. I quite knew what he meant.

Not really touched Swift3d myself (or at least I didn´t gave it a try after a few times)- but I did things before with 3dsmax and a plugin like swfit3d, illustrate or the now onlcuded toon shader. They all allow you to render the images (of a animation) as flash vector drawings- so you can later import it into flash.
    Same as Swift3D. It'll be pre-rendered and not a realtime 3D environment. That's where Papervision, Sandy3D, and the others would have to be used instead of a 3D app that pre-renders the output... a vector output.

as for swift 3d I guess it´s way easier as 3dsmax but it might also be more limited. For example I dont know how well the camera can be animated,- if you can setup the pivot or gegistration marks of 3d objects and so on.
    Follow the char and trigger the next movie clip - a slight scroll - perhaps.

It's possible, but with any 3D app that pre-renders the output, despite it being 3D in the app, the final output doesn't allow real-time manipulation once it's in Flash instead of the 3D app of choice.

For real-time, you're going to need to involve a whole bunch more ActionScript than movieClips.

But it's possible.

Student
    I know that,- I guess that Unknown1101 know that he want´s pre rendered. WIth swift 3d I was more referring to what the standalone package can do. I know that the plugin wich I used long ago (swift max) and swfit 3d share the same rendering process but the construction, modeling and animating process is different.

But I guess if Unknown1101 hasn´t touched any 3d software before swift3d might be the quicker and easier choise

His original question is basically a pre-rendered movie. Character jumps through a pre-rendered broken window.

As it stands, who cares what package you use. That's just the creation process. Use whatever feels the best to you.

The final outcome though is that it will be pre-rendered. And a lot of times, people are somewhat confused by what that means. They think they can allow camera operations from user interaction once it's rendered.

And you can not.

The rest, you and I have basically answered the question multiple times. It can be done, the 3D output once authored is "static" and then he'll just have to add his character into the pre-rendered animation of the broken glass with a camera attached to some movement.

Which can be done in: Maya, 3d Studio Max, Lightwave and Swift3D. Maya can render to *.swf natively, 3d Studio Max and Lightwave can use plugins, and Swift3D does it natively.

My god, more software needed? :S
    So you can't just do everything
    in flash 8? I downloaded swift 3d
    and didn't understand a s#it of how
    to use it xD but does anybody know
    if the xiao-creator used pivot or flash?
    Or can you create in pivot and export
    the figure to flash?

Anyway, have any of you guys managed
    to create 3D envirement yourselves?
    If yes, have you uploaded them to websites
    like youtube or any other, then plx send
    link

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1101
    Anyway, have any of you guys managed
    to create 3D envirement yourselves?
    If yes, have you uploaded them to websites
    like youtube or any other, then plx send
    link
    uhm yes but not cell shading style
    http://www.burg-halle.de/~st2520/3_s...likatessen.htm

perhaps first try to get as much out of flash itself,- spare the 3d part for later

here is an example

i created everything in swift3D (including camera movements) and just export the file to Flash

in xiao-xiao animation i think it was all done in swift3D, (including the stickman) and export to flash. and use flash in the scene where 3d animation isnt required.

swift3d isnt hard to learn at all