A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone is a trojan horse for government spying!?

iPhone is a trojan horse for government spying!?

I can't make this stuff up... not this good.

An alarming white paper concludes that the Apple iPhone contains a backdoor spyware module that allows hackers or the government to conduct secret surveillance of the user, part of an established trend of corporations and the state working hand in hand to eavesdrop on citizens via widely-used software and hardware products.

Earlier this week, a technology group in Russia released the results of their attempts to reverse engineer the iPhone, concluding that the product has "A built-in function which sends all data from an iPhone to a specified web-server. Contacts from a phonebook, SMS, recent calls, history of Safari browser - all your personal information can be stolen."

The module could act as a backdoor for trojan developers or AT & T, said the report, adding that "government structures" would have access to the information.
    read more here...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

the capability i can see would be completely viable. the use of the government to spy on us is quite questionable. What would be more likely would be for AT&T and Apple to watch how their phones are used and use that to leverage marketing programs and new services. Don't get me wrong, i don't think that's ethical or a positive effect on their consumers...quite the opposite. I would however question anything coming out of the russion front as they're the kings of pirating and creative copyrights.

I'm sure my LG clamshell has the same vulnerability, but it's comparable to who would want to steal a Scion when there's an Audi right near it

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...+*&btnG=Search

Windows, Intel chips, cell phones, cryptography products, now the iPhone ... nothing new and from what I know just rumors. However, I would'nt be surprised if there are goverment backdoors in some of them.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

The Government can do anything at any time, with or with out " a built in chip"

Yes the info can be stolen but who cares... and really has this ever happened to you and your life was runied because if it.... (govermnment spying) Reality is that no one has privacy anymore. You don't even need to put your name on paper to become a victim. If anything did happen in the content of wire tap or hidden cameras you have the right to sue and win, if there was no search warrent, and the only people that are going to get spied on are the bad people any how.

And yes Identity theft is out there, just new ways of doing it. You need to protect yourself at all times.

*Edit.. and do you really think some loney heart government worker is going to sit in front of a computer and read call records from some unknown person
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Quote Originally Posted by PCRIDE
    and do you really think some loney heart government worker is going to sit in front of a computer and read call records from some unknown person
    hell yes!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

...and the only people that are going to get spied on are the bad people any how.
    That is highly uninformed.
    http://www.digimarc.com/govt/realid.asp?hpflash_realid
    If you ban guns, only the criminals will have them. If you mandate id chips, only the law abiding citizens will carry them.

and so what.. they can track users habits and where we go. Thats nothing new.

Am I missing the point?

--===00OO00===--
    You really want em having a list of all the stuff you do durring the day? And all your calls, and all your texts, and the sites you visit...wow...I'm being a bit paranoid.
    "For an assassin he...he is pretty nice." ~The Darkness that Comes Before

The Catalyst Corp.

What I am trying to make a point of is;If someone were to spy on you who the hell cares... what do YOU (as as a law abiding citizen) or not... have to hide? What satisfaction would the government have in spying on unknown persons. We allow that to happen every day by buying groceries with our "Super Savings Card"

//watching TV one day on the couch... KNOCK.. KNOCK on the door, hello? Hi we are the government that has been monitoring your calls. OK now what? we know that you like widgets... And thats a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleniatari
    You really want em having a list of all the stuff you do durring the day? And all your calls, and all your texts, and the sites you visit...wow...I'm being a bit paranoid.

and what are they going to use that info for? We have laws to protect us, unless you are involved in criminal activity that information is useless. So what they know you call 1-900 girls. Just being on the internet your ISP knows more than the government, and as I said before they need a warrant to do anything with it, and if your a criminal then that is justified.

Problem is that I want to decide what's private and what not. 99% of all information about me? No problem. But that 1%, for example the passwords to my client project servers, my online banking passwords and security codes, and all that other stuff that could really hurt me in the wrong hands, that one percent should not be available to the people that collect my data for whatever reason.

Fredi

--===00OO00===--
    If you ban guns, only the criminals will have them. If you mandate id chips, only the law abiding citizens will carry them.
    "For an assassin he...he is pretty nice." ~The Darkness that Comes Before

The Catalyst Corp.

What I am trying to make a point of is;If someone were to spy on you who the hell cares... what do YOU (as as a law abiding citizen) or not... have to hide? What satisfaction would the government have in spying on unknown persons. We allow that to happen every day by buying groceries with our "Super Savings Card"

//watching TV one day on the couch... KNOCK.. KNOCK on the door, hello? Hi we are the government that has been monitoring your calls. OK now what? we know that you like widgets... And thats a crime?

before the patriot act you needed a warrant to wiretap a phone, now they can just do it without you knowing about it and without previous legal channels needed to go through.

its not about breaking the law, its about having your personal life logged for multiple differnt thing the government might want to do, possibly even for commercial means.

you become even more of a statistic that can be used for free.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    Problem is that I want to decide what's private and what not. 99% of all information about me? No problem. But that 1%, for example the passwords to my client project servers, my online banking passwords and security codes, and all that other stuff that could really hurt me in the wrong hands, that one percent should not be available to the people that collect my data for whatever reason.

Fredi

well yes.. but that type of information is transmitted everyday not encrypted and is highly vulnerable if not protected by you. Remember the days when the average person didn't need a password for anything besides their pin number to the bank. There is more information sitting in your mailbox for 8 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    you become even more of a statistic that can be used for free.
    ironically, you're actually paying them to do this to you.

That silverx2 buys Gap jeans so we build a Gap next door? But why would they target you out of millions of people that have an iPhone or any other means, most of it is for statistical purpose and in most cases wouldn't directly affect you.

We let it happen for the most part by using our names on the internet, using the super savers card, browsing the internet, checking out books, tracking us via GPS with GPS enabled phones. We just have to deal with it and protect ourselves. Anyone... if they really wanted could harvest bank data, pin numbers and access to your server if they bothered to.

its not just going to be me, its going to be EVERY single iphone user, millions of users having info about them fed into a machine and spitting out stats.

250k people like to eat chicken nuggets on thursdays, lets sell that info to burgerking so they can do a promo day to get people to buy nuggets on other days.
    people in massachusetts dont like george bush, lets start a campaign to make GW look good.
    30% of men 18-32 care about sports scores lets sell that to someone else.

Its like when a company puts a logo on an item of clothing, thats free advertising, except this is like doing those surveys you get gift cards for filling out, but instead of getting something all you get is your monthly phone bill.

PCRIDE how would you feel if tomorow flashkit made you install software that tracked your everymove and sent it to a compant to be analyzed?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

That already happens... look at the advertisements on the home page here, they got all that info by analyzing post's and using cookies. We already have the software installed.. its called Windows!

Its always going to be a battle. With or without software they are going to get data and disregard the legality of the data and use is secretly to their advantage. Its just when "they" get busted they are asked how they got the data.

its not just going to be me, its going to be EVERY single iphone user, millions of users having info about them fed into a machine and spitting out stats.
    Yea mostly statistical stats, no more than a internet cookie. Thats what I was saying why would they start listening in and viewing your text messages... no one has time for that, its all automated with software and is designed for their advantage. Snatching text messages and call recordings is not going to sell more iServices but gathering the statistics on times they text or when they make a long distance call does. We are on 2 points here, marketing and spying.

For instance for high clearance jobs that require an extensive background checks via forms... Besides investigating the individual they also look at how you fill the form out which may or may not give them a reason to look into your history in more detail such as recording your calls and text messages.

Silver. I think I have reason to trust the government more than the admin of flashkit.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    Silver. I think I have reason to trust the government more than the admin of flashkit.
    Well, the goverment can put you into prison for no real reason these days, I don't think Planet can do that.

Fredi