A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Banner fps speed

Banner fps speed

What fps is best for banners for most cpu's. I've used 60 fps in the past and ramped it up to 90 to go inside IE. Are we talking 30 fps here? Please say no!

For banners? It usually depends on the publishers specs. The most common spec has been 18 FPS or under.

Where are the banners running? Why on earth would you need 90 FPS?

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Yeah... Even 60fps is extremely over kill.

TV runs at 29.97fps, and film runs at 24fps. There's really no reason to go higher than that. Especially for an ad banner, I would agree that 18fps should be OK.

Speaking from a consumer/surfer point of view, any faster than 18-24fps and your graphics are either moving way too fast...think annoying 'blink' tag...or your file size is way too big to accomodate the extra frames required. Broadband availability or not, banner ads should be TINY in file size!

Be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Yip it's 60 fps cos the animation is so smooth. 18 fps seriously doesn't cut it. The client LOVES the 60 fps over the slower speeds. However, I do totally agree, 60 fps is way too intense, I might chuck it down to about 30.

"About magic frame rate numbers: Recommended fps values for your FLA document are either 21 or 31, otherwise known as the "magic frame rate numbers". The reason for these values is that the default document setting of 12 fps is more often than not too slow for tween animations, resulting in "jerky" motion. So most of the time it needs to be higher. In addition, it has been found that two SWFs published to the same fps, will run slower on the Mac Flash Player than on the PC Flash Player, given equivalent processing power. Sometimes the lag time is quite noticeable. To counteract this "bug", we must set our FLA to either 21, 31, 41, 51 or 61 fps to negate this effect. But of course most computer processors cannot keep up with a frame rate higher than 31 fps, or performance issues in the Flash Player may occur. Thus it is advised that only frame rates of either 21 or 31 be used for most FLA documents. Only if you are running an FLV video player in your browser with the video at high resolution (larger than 320x240) would it be advisable to drop the frame rate of your FLV down to 12-15 in order to conserve performance. See Tom Green's CMX article for more details on video performance in Flash."

taken from

http://www.communitymx.com/content/a...ge=2&cid=C1379
    Last edited by silentweed; 10-04-2007 at 07:45 AM.
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

Flash Certified Developer

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    while you bring that up silentweed, have you ever had any personal experience with 31fps vs 30fps? I have just always been using 30fps and I use both a mac and pc and never noticed anything really catastrophic between the two. And I've tried my own little 30fps vs 31fps performance tests. Maybe that issue has been resolved since that article was published years ago?

Hi Taco, to be honest I haven't tested it out myself, I just took their word for it..

Its very possible the problem does not exist any longer.. but I just keep on the safe side
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

Flash Certified Developer