A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan 3D

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar

Nissan 3D

For those who don't visit the papervision blog from time to time, this was posted yesterday! I am in love with the possibilities! This is before Astro!

http://www.nissanusa.com/roguegame/
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Student
    I dont see any flash 3d - could you point out where to click?

edit:
    now I found it:
    http://www.nissanusa.com/roguegame/mazemaster.html
    Last edited by renderhjs; 10-14-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Sorry 'bout that! Just copy pasted the url!

You know what, not only this but all the other papervision examples are so unnimpressive, they all run sooo slow...and blame 'old' computers is a cheap excuse because when the first (alpha or beta, i dont remember)flex with as3 came out andre michelle made some 3d examples,with no papervision at all, that run sooo much faster them those papervision ones
    Unfortulately, all he cares now is sounds sounds...
    Last edited by Cimmerian; 10-14-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Runs fast here, but it's not my type of game or control.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    plays pretty fast fo rme, but certainly opens my eyes up to some nice possibilities
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

Nice flash website alright.

I like the idea of having a new car come out, and then you can play a mini race game that like, mimicks the real vehicles torque, speed, accel. etc. and compare it to other cars on the street. Not effin' Pong with cars, for Christs sake. Some of these high-profile website design companies make beautiful websites but they don't have a first clue about making decent games to go with them.

Knows where you live
    Wow, I am impressed with the engine, although the gameplay and controls were brutal. Would it have been that hard to give arrow keys and make it a real game? I mean, seriously, who the hell decided to take a racing game, and change it into that garbage?

I take back some of what I said about papervision, I think that the 3d worked pretty well.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I whole-heartedly agree, 691, the trick I guess is to keep the mouse right over the car at all times to drive it slow. Then engine was very smooth and nice but yeah, Crappiest-Controls-In-A-Game award goes to this one.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Knows where you live
    And ironically enough, wasn't the game an advertisement for how good the cars handled?
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Haha, nice irony 69

I understand why people are not that excited about the 3D demos atm. but in my humble opinion the development in the last half year is amazing! I know it's not PS3 stuff or anything but the generousity and open source mentality of the Flash community pushes the technology further and faster than any other! I think it's ok to be sceptical but use it to push the community even further and contribute wherever possible!

Are you really impressed by this?
    To me, its like rachil0 said on another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by rachil0
    With graphics.beginbitmapFill() and splitting large quads/tris repeatedly for approximate perspective correction, you can crunk out a papervisionish renderer pretty quickly. Rasterization is not especially expensive when you draw large contiguous regions at once via beginbitmapFill. And transformation/projection is just some math.
    The 3d math is nothing new at all,only now it can use the speed of as3
    And besides that, on that engine if you pay attention on the buildings it even dont scales correctly.Its crappy even before the new flash cames out.
    Last edited by Cimmerian; 10-15-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Well, the scaling/perspective is a choice by the papervision crew but yeah I think this is pretty impressive. Feel free to convince me otherwise though I haven't seen more impressive demos from other engines, so bring some examples and tell what you find impressive about them!

Quite impressive considering again that it's flash. I must invest in some time to look at papervision.
    The graphical distortions on the buildings, I am not sure I can accept this very well but the car is excellent.
    Yes, I agree about the controls, I would have preferred to use keyboard even though it's digital. I think I know where they were coming from with the mouse control as it's analog but if they were going to use the mouse, I would have preferred the camera always behind the car rather than having to move the mouse round the car so much.
    May 2009 - Working on Thorenzitha RPG - episode 7

What's with the recent papervision bashing? I think those guys are doing a great job. Great for you that you are able to reproduce this, go celebrate it alone in some corner with your wicked source or be as cool as those guys and release it for public to help development and the community. Geez.

Now that's something that's had a big budget thrown at it.

I wasn't even going to bother looking after reading this thread, but it's not that bad. It's just a game that's lead by the tech. behind it, rather than the game play, and seeing how most industry games are slaves to the design, it's a nice change.

If it were a steel ball being rolled around, with destructible items in the city, then it would be really fun. As it is, it misses the mark as a good fun game, but exceeds it as a tech. achievement.

It's the future guys, guess we better get used to it.

Squize.

No.Papervision is sweet but the one thing that sucks is there is zero support for animation. So you can import a 3ds mesh but that's it for now. That sucks.

I haven't seen more impressive demos from other engines, so bring some examples and tell what you find impressive about them!
    Go to Miniclip and look at any of those Director 3D games, then compare this to that.
    It's a fair comparison. These days director plugin is just as easy to download and install as flash is. Only flash developers care that this is 3d in flash. Other people will just tell you that it sucks.

Even the technical aspect is only impressive to flash developers with little 3d experience. People with 3D coding experience will probably tell you they could do this in their sleep.
    Last edited by MikeMD; 10-15-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD
    Go to Miniclip and look at any of those Director 3D games, then compare this to that.
    It's a fair comparison. These days director plugin is just as easy to download and install as flash is. Only flash developers care that this is 3d in flash. Other people will just tell you that it sucks.

Even the technical aspect is only impressive to flash developers with little 3d experience. People with 3D coding experience will probably tell you they could do this in their sleep.
    I don't like to get into these kind of arguments, but to papervision's (and flash's) defense, shockwave relies on hardware support---Flash is only software, which is really the reason this is so impressive. The Papervision guys are pushing the envelope, and that's what matters... at least imho
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

Quote Originally Posted by SaphuA
    Great for you that you are able to reproduce this, go celebrate it alone in some corner
    Its not 'me'.ANYONE who knows how to read can code any of these papervision examples since flash mx
    http://www.kirupa.com/developer/acti...pt/3dindex.htm
    Diference is, making your own engine is more likely of not run so slow or have not so crappy bitmap perspective distortion like this one have.
    If some snes 3d engines are possible now is only merit of the speed of AS3.
    All of those poor tries of 3d...the next flash will make all of that obsolete anyway.