A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Running Flash/Illustrator CS3 in Vista 64-bit Edition

$_COOKIE['monster']

Running Flash/Illustrator CS3 in Vista 64-bit Edition

Hi,
    I wonder if there is anyone out there who’s running or thinking about running Illustrator and Flash CS3 in Vista 64-bit Edition?. Are there any issues related to 64-bit environments that I should be aware of?. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks for help.

I'm running that setup. I can't say that it has been problem free with some things. But, those apps haven't given me any trouble.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I tried it when Vista was first released and Flash ran just fine. I never did get Illustrator to run. I guess that bug has probably been fixed by now.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Hey MbZBugsy,

I have a dual quad-core xeon setup, running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have CS3 Web Premium installed.

Flash starts fast and zips through all my commands. But after a short while of working, pulling vectors, and adding text-fields, Flash gets painfully slow. I mean really, really slow.

Photoshop doesn't always find all my fonts, forcing me to reset the prefs.

Illustrator... just yesterday it stopped allowing me to copy vectors for pasting into Photoshop.

I have 8GB of RAM, so I can't blame it on that.

Dreamweaver I don't have any issues with.

Other Vista issues include IE7 crashing on me, while on different sites. Oh, and I couldn't connect to SMB on the Mac, but found a workaround for that.

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

vista sounds lovely.

I use Flash and Photoshop CS3 both on Photoshop and have for a year now both without any problems. It's not just casual using them either. I basically have them open all day and i'm running on a laptop with 2GB of ram.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    I use Flash and Photoshop CS3 both on Photoshop and have for a year now both without any problems. It's not just casual using them either. I basically have them open all day and i'm running on a laptop with 2GB of ram.
    Only... CS3 hasn't been out for a year

I don't think the issues that I am having are related to Vista per se, rather Adobe apps being 32-bit, emulated on a 64-bit OS.

Come to think of it though, Flash 8 also got slow when doing certain things, on my P4 3.4GHz HT / XP Pro system -- specifically when working with dynamic/input text fields.

Let's Adobe releases 64-bit versions with multi-core capabilities for PCs.

/Flip
    Flipsideguy

I've been running Vista for a year and we ordered the CS3 suite the day it was released so it's been quite some time.
    Jason L. Wright

$_COOKIE['monster']
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    I've been running Vista for a year and we ordered the CS3 suite the day it was released so it's been quite some time.
    Ok Jason,
    But are you running a 64-bit version of the Vista?

I was until a couple of months ago. I had some problems with a couple of my drivers though so I finally reverted back to the 32-bit version. I really didn't se any difference in my software performance in the switch.
    Jason L. Wright