A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [HDC] Execute Server Package (Ever wanted to make a flash client application?)

[HDC] Execute Server Package (Ever wanted to make a flash client application?)

I'm proud to announce the release of the first version of my first real open source release. This is an open source socket server package programmed in php. It comes with PHP 5.2.4, .NET Framerwork 2.0 Installer, [HDC] Execute Server.exe, flash client source examples, and of course, the php coding for a socket server.

This can be used for more than just servers, but it's best for servers. Have you ever wanted to make your own MMORPG or flash game with multiplayer but couldn't get past the block of servers systems that limit you to like 20 connects? Well, this is what you want.

More info and download links:
    http://www.happydemon.com/archives/c...execute-server

Hi,

this seems tobe made for a dedicated windows box. Since it is php, would it also work on a dedicated linux server?

Musicman

I'm planning on making a linux compatible version of the shell program in the future after I fully debug the windows version. I'm not exactly the best with C++, so I'm not sure how about how to compile for linux yet. I've got a bit of studying to do.

Hi,

the website left me with the impression that the only job of the shell program is to start and stop a php executable. If that is true, not using an external program would make a solution compatible with managed servers (where the customer gets a full server, or guaranteed resources on a - hopefully - up-to-date system but cannot install binaries.

Musicman

Yeah, that's pretty much all the shell program does at the moment, I'm working on implementations to make it more than just start and stop. I've been making it just to manage php.exe in such a way, you don't have to look at the ugly command prompt when you're not messing with it. That's pretty much the entire point beyond 'shelling a program' and the 'shell' api, for one program to control of another. As I've stated, the entire server programming is PHP. My ultimate goal with it, is to prove that it's possible to create a powerful and versatile server application with PHP and the socket functions and also bundle together a full package so that the people that do not have the expense to spare for virtual servers can start off without having to waste time and effort in figuring out how php can be used to be a php server. A lot of people assume that they're saposed to just run a server script in their browser, but that's not really how you're saposed to do it. If people that are truly interested in how it works, they can easily comprehend it by reading the read me file and they can start to figure out how to expand into doing it in all in such a way that they don't need to use my package because they understand how to use the PHP executables that are normally packaged with apache. I know you'd probably ask now "Why not just write a tutorial?" Well, programmers are generally hands on, yes? Well, starting off just working with the PHP scripts should be the first step into it. After you know that it's all just the php scripting that does the work, then you're ready to figure out how to execute the script in a PHP executable file (windows: php.exe). However, the shell application will practically only be able to make it possible to run the php.exe in the background and minimize to the system tray so you don't have to look at the ugly command prompt when you don't want to, I'll be making it show a log of all the data that you want displayed in it in a cleaner environment, it's just prosthetics really. You can't do but so much interaction between any program and php.exe.

Anyone that already knows about dealing with manages servers wouldn't need to deal with this program generally, would they? xD