A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: cut out objects

cut out objects

Is it possible in Swift to use an object as a cut out object for another? E.g. when I place a sphere and next a smaller cube halfway on the side, can I make that cube cut out the part the cube which is inside the sphere? In scene editor they remain two objects and can't find a "subtract from" tool in advance editor. And in the extrusion editor I can't make a sphere.

Unfortunately no, there is no automatic function to accomplish that.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

So how would you accomplish a task like making a sphere with a hole from top to bottom? So not a donut like object, but a complete sphere with a hole in it?

That one in particular would be easy enough. If you wanted to do more complex objects though, then you might have to resort to doing what I call a 'manual boolean'. This involves manually manipulating the mesh to accomodate the mating objects. Basically you put the two pieces together as you want them then go about dividing the mesh and moving the vertices so everything lines up on both pieces. You would then delete the unecessary faces and weld the two pieces together.

To make your sphere with a hole through it, just use the Lathe Editor. Essentially you want to draw a hemisphere sitting off to the right of the center line, with the flat part of the hemisphere running parallel to it. The distance away from the center line would be half of the total diameter that you want the hole to be.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..