A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory

This has been going on ever since I installed Flash on my new MacBook, and I can't stop it. Flash will stop me from copy+pasting anything, saying 'There's not enough memory to complete the operation.' It tells me that 'To increase memory, I should close open documents or quit and use the Get Info command in the Finder to allocate more memory to Flash.' Well, I have no other documents open and when I try to use Finder to allocate more memory, the text box is there but I can't select it. It's kinda grayed out, like something you can select but you don't have privileges to. But that seems backwards because I'm the administrator and only user of this computer... any help? I've restarted Flash and even restarted the whole computer, didn't work. You have no idea how annoying it is to not be able to copy+paste... thanks in advance for any help.

Let's not have everyone post at once, now. Seriously, at least say you haven't a clue what the problem could be, at least it'd be a response.

You can only assign memory in Mac OS 9 or lower, and only if the application isn't open.

In OS X memory is assigned dynamically, you can't control it. If you've got a Macbook without any added memory, then about the only thing you can do is add more.
    The OS itself takes up at least 256Mb, so if you've got the stock 512Mb installed, you should try and get some more. If you've got hundreds of fonts installed, disable the ones you aren't using.

Other than that, you can try breaking your document into smaller chunks to be able to work on it.

As for response times, this isn't the busiest of forums. It's not that people are ignoring you, just not many come through in the first place.
    Sam

I have a MacBook with 2 GBs of memory, which should be more than enough. Flash is the only program open and there's only one document running, and as most Flash documents go it's not large. According to the Get Info command, Flash is being allowed 512 kbs of memory, which doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot. Is this correct, or has it just not been removed since the OS 9 version? (I didn't even know Flash ran on OS 9... heh)

Then the only other things I can think of are to try reinstalling Flash and maybe looking for corrupt fonts (try Linotype FontExplorer, it's free).

I suppose it's always possible that that one document is corrupt, in which case I'm not sure what you could do. Maybe try Open As Library and get the assets into a new file.

The info in Get Info is there for if you run the app in Classic (which obviously you can't do as you're on intel).
    Sam