A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash freelancer frequired - simple job - alot of future jobs

Flash freelancer frequired - simple job - alot of future jobs

I need a flash freelancer

To create something on a simpler version of this -

http://www.loveearth.com/uk/film

Notice how the pages change from page to page and the way the gallery page is done. that is it. If you think you could recreate such styles then your good enough for me.

I have done a design of a website which is similar but MUCH smaller - only 3 pages and need it coded up in flash for the net. I have the design in PSD.

PM me - I also have MSN and AIM

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    pm sent
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Quote Originally Posted by puratu
    yes, please do. When I was done doing the project from the thread that puratu just posted, he changed his mind about everything and wanted me to do it again for a small amount of money. Just having me toss it away and wanting me to do something new for 200 dollars is a huge rip. So...work at your own risk here. Just thought I'd warn you by pointing out the obvious.
    It's a long road to the finale.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Flash Developer
    ( I found it funny how his name sounds like corruptonline teehee )

Last edited by RUSHVision; 11-10-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary derogatory comment

Quote Originally Posted by nonameusername
    ( I found it funny how his name sounds like corruptonline teehee )

that fits pretty good doesn't it
    Last edited by RUSHVision; 11-10-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary derogatory comment
    It's a long road to the finale.

Well I thought I would share my experiences. I took this job early before the warnings in this thread appeared and I was in a rush getting my first paid freelancing job.

This guys attitude stinks. If things aren't done exactly how he wants (it doesn't matter if he never told you what he wants in the first place) he gets very aggressive. Also as the project progresses he adds more and more work on to you with no extra pay. What started off as 3 flash pages with transitions in between ended up at 9 flash pages, the html written, javascript added and his images needing editing.

What really makes me laugh though is this was for his personal site advertising his web design skills! If he's a web designer why does he need somebody else to make his entire site while all he does is provide (wrong) psd's?

Not the best first job I could have hoped for but I've certainly learnt a few lessons.

And just to note, when he said he wanted a simpler version of that site above he meant he wanted it exactly the same, just he wouldn't put videos on.

The red flags hear are
    "I need a flash freelancer

To create something on a simpler version of this -

http://www.loveearth.com/uk/film

Notice how the pages change from page to page and the way the gallery page is done. that is it. If you think you could recreate such styles then your good enough for me.

I have done a design of a website which is similar but MUCH smaller - only 3 pages and need it coded up in flash for the net. I have the design in PSD.

PM me - I also have MSN and AIM"

Ok... so... yeah basically the fact that he says "alot of future jobs" means that the current pay is going to be way undervalued, because that's how the world works. They give you 3 kernels but promise you a bag of popcorn in the future. So yeah... it's kind of to be expected.
    Have a wonderful day!
    http://www.gpathmedia.com!

Guys, I share the experience here. I've done some work for this guy this summer and things ended very badly with the guy not paying for some work done. In fact, I did post already on the link that puratu has mentioned. And I confirm everybody's opinion: the guy has an attitude problem, personaly and professionaly.

... but hey! We are more and more in the same situation having worked for him, maybe we should start a club!!

I wonder if he posts on other forums and would be up to hunt him down!!!

Oh and he does like ripping off other people's websites and designs!

It is a never ending cycle.. you get either a cheap or un-informed client looking for a developer... then you get a bunch of people with no experience bidding on the job. All trying to out-do each other's prices just so they get the job for their 'portfolio'..and gain some experience..

The developer usually finds:

1.) they do not have the skill/experience to do the job PROFESSIONALLY
    2.) under bid the job in cost
    3.) under bid the job in time
    4.) they produce a half-assed job to the client

(since they have no experience in project management/freelancing)

5.) usually do not know how to control a projects timeline/task delegation
    6.) does not know to control their clients 'last minute changes'
    7.) finds their client does not pay...

Then you see the same malicious or un-informed client back again..posting the same job.. BOTH sides complaining of similar things..LOL

The best things you (IMHO) you can do for yourself and this industry is:

STOP LOW-BALLING prices

LEARN what it takes to COMPLETE the project professionally (so you can judge your skill-set and time frame accordingly).. instead of just being a "YES MAN" to get the job(s)

BE clear and upfront on how you expect to get paid as well the handling of the source files (and when/if exchange happens)

Be clear and keep re-iterating the project requirements so to not only keep yourself on a good direction without any mis-understandings... but also to have a 'list' that you can sorta make the client adhere to as well. This can help stop stupid/minor changes..

Create terms and options to protect your time and investment... such as Project Change Request forms (make them fill them out and charge if not in the initial contract agreement)..

you get the idea...

Excellent tips whispers...be sure to keep written/electronic copies of ALL correspondence, and, if you have any doubts...contract, contracts, contracts...

They don't always mean that you'll get paid, but, if it's enough $, you've at least got something you could take legal action on if you have to...

I completely agree with you guys. Preparation, realistic quotes, contracts, etc, are very important to succeed and avoid headaches or “walletaches”! But when you start in this job, it’s always difficult to be well prepared and quote the real price for the job or your time. Like whispers said, you underestimate the price, the cost, your time, your rights, etc. Sometimes deliberately to get the job. Myself, even after several assignments, I still find some issues that create problems, or I let things slip to get the gig. But you learn from experiences or from more experienced guys on forums! Thanks and keep the tips coming in!

All of these are excellent suggestions for the newbie freelancer.

It might be good to try to put together a sticky in this forum with tips like this for people just starting out freelancing.

I'll look into getting something worked up.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..