A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Starting on Linux

Starting on Linux

Hello, everyone.

I didn't know where else to post this.. I apologize in advance if there is a forum for this question other than this one. Sorry...

I would like to get started with learning/using Linux. I built a small desktop, with 2.0Ghz of intel processor speed, a gig of ram, and a 40GB hard disk, plus a cd-rom drive...

I tried next, to search the web for a LInux OS to download.. I got so overwhelmed! there seem to be so many Linux OS out there...

I sooo dunno where to start. Wah.

FYI...i wanted to try linux out.. since i would practically be working with Apache, PHP, MySQL, Flash (i hear Flash MX can be installed on Linux[?]) ...plus, i really wanna learn how to use the OS, and maybe be able to modify it (although i also do not know what programming language created Linux) and perhaps, if my programs are good, share it with the open source community of Linux..

I hope you guys can help. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
    Flash MX + ASP + WinXP Pro
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

Go with Ubuntu. If you just want to make apps for linux, then use something simple like python. If you're hardcore and actually want to modify the OS, you'll be using C/C++.

Ubuntu no doubt.

Sorry, i guess i left a few other things out...

-- I'd like to do my web development on it [flash+php+mysql+apache]

-- I'd also like to be able to modify the OS, say, to customize it for my needs...

-- Next, I would like to be able to develop programs for Linux, as well as for the Nokia N800...

..........so:

Can i do all that in Ubuntu? Considering what i would really like to do, should i use python, or c? Is python free? How about c?

...i'm really sorry for these questions.. i started out with ASP/SQL, and i'm really trying to find a way around the linux stuff...

i really appreciate your replies... Thank you.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

Python is opensource, you can find free C compilers. Web development is easy. Just set it up as a server.

Okay... Python sounds like a good start

But since i also want to be able to modify the OS code itself... must i really learn C?
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

I would assume that the OS code is C. Maybe not though.

If you don't know C right now, then modifying an OS is going to seem amazingly daunting and will probably make you avoid programming all together.

Start with python for now and learn how to program effectively. Once you feel that you are comfortable with it, then try learning C. It'll be a long hard process learning enough to be comfortable modifying an OS.

OS programming involves knowing a lot about how computers work and requires enough knowledge to ensure no exploits are left behind for others to use and break into the OS. You can start off by using Nachos and then see if you want to go into Linux.

Thank you...

I'll go in the direction Python leads.. at least for now, until what you guys said manifests.. and prepares me for an attempt at modifying the OS.

I'll start with Python.. then once i'm abled enough.. i'll try to look into making programs for the Nokia N800... unless you guys also think that that's a bad idea. (please let me know if so)

Another thing.. What would be good computer specifications to run a Linux OS, program with Python, run Apache and work with PHP+MySQL that you think a starter like me can feel comfortable with? Naturally, i wouldn't suppose a super hardcore intel core 2 duo processor or an x2 athlon processor is necessary, right?

Thank you for continuing to answer this.. I truly appreciate all the help!
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

Nice thing about Linux - you can run it on a toaster oven. I've been running my dev linux box for several years on a Pentium 3 - 500 Mhz with 512 Ram. It runs fine, notwithstanding the desktop environment. I am running several services on it, including a typical LAMP (linux, apache, mySQL, PHP) setup, SSH (including port tunneling), squid proxy, file server, and a few other things. The machine never chokes and never has problems, aside from an old, crappy,loud fan.

The box you mentioned above will be MORE than enough to run pretty much anything you'll get involved with.

Incidentally -- I am not sure what you mean 'modifying the OS.' Are you talking about the OS or the services within? Most people never ever do anything with the OS itself. Obviously, being open source, it's certainly accommodating, but I don't know anyone who is actively doing this.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 11-20-2007 at 01:21 AM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Whoa. Really??? So a 1.5Ghz pentium processor with 1GB ram will do?

By modifying, i was thinking of services, maybe.. where i can manipulate what the OS launches or desktop functions and shortcuts.. and then be able to repackage the OS so that i can install it easily on the main computer... stuff like that.
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by mxgen
    Whoa. Really??? So a 1.5Ghz pentium processor with 1GB ram will do?
    More than enough. - Like I said, my P3 with 512 is plenty. I don't use the desktop environment much -- usually just SSH into the machine, but it's rarely slow, if ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxgen
    By modifying, i was thinking of services, maybe.. where i can manipulate what the OS launches or desktop functions and shortcuts.. and then be able to repackage the OS so that i can install it easily on the main computer... stuff like that.
    I would really consider this more configuring than modiying, but whatever. Go right ahead and dive into the water...there's plenty of tutes on the web to help you do whatever you'll want. Trust me, it's going to be tough to find something 100% unique with anything you'll do with that OS. There's plenty of pioneers there before you.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |