A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [beta] platform - "Last Known Whereabouts"

[beta] platform - "Last Known Whereabouts"

I'd like some feedback on this game I've been working on. And if you find inconsistencies or bugs, I'd appreciate any comments.

The game has no instructions, sort of like those "grow" puzzle games. Just explore and you'll see it's not difficult. Really just a simple platform game, just some different ideas. You have to figure out how to rebuild the rocket, and then find objects on the various levels.

I've gotten lots of help from some of you here at flashkit. Thanks so much.

It's actually my second platform/puzzle game. I'll post the other one another thread later. (the other one is cuter and simpler and not so dark)

Play Last Known Whereabouts

Is it too hard? Did you get to the payoff movie at the end? What was the hardest part? Was the tree level too difficult? Is the "film" effect too annoying? How long did it take you? Did you give up?

jorge

Sorry about the white screen at the beginning, I can't figure out why my preloader isn't working. If you wait a little bit, the game starts.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Looks great so far, please make a button to turn off the music/sound fx.

edit: Actually I just noticed the little meter. You have to make that clearer because I thought it was a life bar or a link or something.

It's looks nice, and the grainy effect works, but I couldn't get pass the screen with the apples. This was mostly due to a combination of incredibly harsh collision detection and the continual slowdowns I kept on getting. It's probably the film effect things that mostly contributing to the slowdown, so how about an option to switch it off?

OK, I figured out the long loading thing. I had been experimenting with "attachSound" stuff and forgot to take the "export at first frame" off. Silly.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

jorge

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Hey nice work! loved the style. Although you should check on your hittest areas, those apples hit you from 1 mile away.

What are you using for this? AS3? super tiles?

A mile away? I thought I made the hit really small. I must have missed something.

I'll look into it. Thanks

I've got a small circle as a hit MC in the middle of the apple. So it's not colliding with the apple, but with a little circle MC. I wonder what the deal is. I'm assuming you haven't gotten to the cave or the lava rooms?

jorge

is yours based of this? looks very similar

http://guyflash.deviantart.com/art/P...-v0-1-34246445

I too did not get passed the apples.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Developer
    I too got bored after trying to get past the apples.

The apple thing is impossible right now, isn't it? I feel as if I can't even get past the middle. I tried the bottom and the top of the tree but couldn't find an entry point.

Anyway, the engine seems ok. It's art-based and doesn't really have much math involved.. so, the collision detection is a bit buggy. But, overall, it's ok.

And, if you did grab it from the deviantart, I certainly hope you plan on crediting him.

Not bad for your first platformer. The tree scene seemed impossible to get through.
    I'd say the grainy effect doesn't look bad but doesn't look great either. Overall the game lacks a certain something- the guy moves too fast and isn't fun to control. That's about it for now, keep hammering at it and let us see how it's going in a couple of weeks.

Update

Check it out. I've modified it a bit. Added some hints, optimized the film grain a bit. Still basically the same, but with hist as to where to go.

And with credits.

thanks again for checking it out.

Last Known Whereabouts

Yes, I did grab the code from guyflash. I've modified it from his original state and added levels, walls,platforms, ceilings, objects, still art based though.

jorge
    Last edited by antijorge; 11-22-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Developer
    In the apples place, where are you supposed to go? The jumping feels a lot more 'floaty' now...

Drop down the cliff and onto the root. Then move RIGHT and you'll drop down even more. Then go along and up and then drop into the hole in the tree...
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."