A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [SUGGESTION] Link field

[SUGGESTION] Link field

In forums such as the games forum and flash general there are loads of posts where the links to the game in the first post are not the freshest link, this means that the person reading will have probably played the wrong version and even then may not see the link at the bottom of the post pointing them to the new one.

If you asked most people then they'd probably agree that if you're going to stick to the time restrictions for editing then at least the post creator should be able to have a separate field which he/she can edit which points to their WIP or game. It would make all the posts much less confusing and although it could be hard to implement in the needed forums, I think overall it would be a great addition.

You could put this in the additional options as to not confuse the newer posters.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I agree that it's kind of a pain not to be able to update the links in situations such as these, but unfortunately I can also see the potential for abuse. Maybe you guys could talk to the mods about updating the links when appropriate?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Then with that approach there will be no room for abuse and honestly, how often does this really happen (thinking of the workload)

well if you've ever been to the games forum before then you'll know that people often post their games for testing. People who don't have their own hosts and use sites like imageshack have to use different links ALOT. You COULD get the mods to do it but that would completely overload them with PMs
    I think you have to trust the community to a certain extent. Only the OP will be able to have that field so if their wanted to delete THEIR game (the link might have been removed from the site etc) then let them. If they wanted to post abusive links then they could just do so in a normal post...
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

So is this a no

I still think its really really needed, people wouldn't have to scroll through the whole thread to find the latest link. only the link field could be edited after 10minutes (or whatever the period is now) so the post couldn't be deleted. It would only be available to the original poster and if they wanted to post a link to a website which breaks the rules then they could do it in a normal post so there is no added risk of abuse.
    Besides this its really not that hard to add. You'd basically do what you guys did for adding flash versions in the games section and add the value to then end of the post instead of the title.
    PLEASE! Look through development threads in the games forum, this is really needed to stop the main down effect of the time constraint rule.

I think this is a great idea if it's possible. I'm sure it would be of great advantage to people having battles or posting in the Photography forum.