A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX] Shared library or something else?

[MX] Shared library or something else?

I'm creating an avatar builder with Flash CS3 (AS2)
    It has a crazy number of options; eyes, hair, clothes, accessories etc etc etc.

So far I've had a MC for each option with all the selections within it, so 'hair' has; frame1 long hair, fr2 spikey hair, fr3 curly...and so on.

Everything has been going great but the more I add the slower Flash gets to work with, whether its testing the movie or a simple undo, a definite lag is appearing.

I'm thinking it would be better to break the sections up into completely separate swfs that the main swf could call them up as necessary. So I would have a movie with all the hairs in, another with the eyes that the main movie would call upon. The other concern is the user can change the colours of the various items, would this be possible?

I've never had a movie talk to another before so this is new territory for me. If someone could point me in the correct direction I would be v grateful.

Thankyou!
    Fran

I've been reading into shared libraries a little more and I'm not sure if they are what I need.

Is there a way to split up a movie so that my 'reels' of options can still respond to things like gotoAndPlay, nested symbols and setRGB? Think WeeMee's avatar creator.

Sorry I’m doing all my thinking out loud here, I’m just petrified of this new step!
    I’ve done a little more experimenting and maybe shared libraries are the way forward. As long as I export everything in them as well I seem to be able to apply a colour to the clips within, hurrah!

New problem…
    I want to have a fla that contains each of the different components,
    eg hair.swf contains all the different hairstyles.
    Is there a piece of code that can call a certain hairstyle to the stage of the mainMovie.swf?

So when playing ‘mainMovie.swf’ the user presses
    ‘button1’ and ‘hair1’ from ‘hair.swf’ appears at a particular coord…(or replaces a placeholder symbol)
    ‘button2’ replaces ‘hair1’ with ‘hair2’…and so on…?

I’ve been scouring the net looking for answers but all the material on shared libs seem to be a few years old and none of them mention any AS code.

Drat, I thought I'd figured it out with AttachMovie but it seems it can't be used with shared symbols:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...5638&sliceId=2

No fair!
    Please let me know if theres any workarounds anyone has found