A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Argh!! Not sure which way to go!

Argh!! Not sure which way to go!

I'm making an avatar builder with movieclips holding various parts; eyes, hair etc. When the user selects a different hair it goes to the appropriate frame of the hair movie to display it.

My problem is the .fla is starting to slow down as I add more and more options... 84MB and rising! The .swf is acting fine, it takes a little while to compress for testing but once that's done its highly responsive and a cool 480KB

So I'm at a crossroads... do I carry on adding to the .fla OR do I rip up the different components into other flas and use shared libraries?

I guess what I want to know is would shared libraries help the fla runtime at all... or would they actually hinder it as it will have to keep asking other movies what to do? Also does Flash hit a point where you stuff it so full of symbols that it can't cope?

I need to be totally sure which route to take or I could lose weeks/mths of work... please advise!
    Last edited by TheAaarrrggg; 11-29-2007 at 07:35 PM.

imo i don't think you need to worry too much unless you plan to double the size of the file.. it's basically an application your building so i think people won't mind waiting for it to start.. maybe once you hit the 1mb mark you could include a super simple flash game for peeps to play while it loads

That said, a shared library won't help you much unless you have multiple pages pulling the same shared library.. if you were to split it up it would be better to load swf's containing each element (eg mouths.swf) then people only have to wait for the say head.swf to load before they can start rather than waiting for everything to load at once, but if i was using it I would prefer to get all the loading out of the way at the beginning.

ps i believe the max number of movieclips in an swf is 16000 but you might wanna doube-check

good luck!
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection