A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Link] FlashGameLicense.com - Marketplace to connect game developers and buyers

[Link] FlashGameLicense.com - Marketplace to connect game developers and buyers

Hey guys!

You might already be familiar with:
    Flash Game Sponsorship - A great resource to learn how the sponsorship process works with lots of tips and advice on how to get the best possible deal.

Flash Game Blogs - Perfect for checking the latest game news/reviews and thoughts of prominent flash game developers. [I'm still accepting submissions]

I'd extremely excited to announce the latest addition to the 'FlashGame' family of sites. Chris Hughes (ch00se) and I have built this site together and are both working hard to make it success!

Flash Game License - A virtual marketplace to connect portals (or other game buyers) with developers. It supports all kinds of license types (exclusive licenses, sponsorships, non-exclusive, MochiAds, revenue sharing, etc).

There is lot to say about the site but I'm sure the most important question you have is "Does it work?' and I'm happy to say 'Yes. It does."

We have only just started to promote the site but already we have:

-A $3500 sponsorship deal
    -Another game just sold for over $2500
    -A bid of $2000 on another (still available for more bids)
    -6 games sponsored between 500-1000 (some allowing MochiAds or other liberal future distribution opportunities)
    -Many smaller sponsorships on the smaller games for under $500
    -Arranged over 10 non-exclusives deals ranging from $200-$750 each.
    -Setup tons of small API deals. Usually between $50-$100 to add an API to an already released game and not changing anything else.
    -And many other deals are 'in the works'

We have nearly 100 games. There are over 40 sponsors signed up and we are getting more every day.

If you have read through FlashGameSponsorship or talked to other successful developer you know that it is IMPERATIVE to get your game in front of as many portals or buyers as possible in order to the get the best price. However, that can be a time consuming process and its incredibly frustrating to write out 30 emails and only get a few responses back. You can read a bit more here - Flash Broker Services – for examples on how much more a game can receive when it is marketed properly.

FlashGameLicense.com simplifies this process and opens it up to all games big or small. If your game is “top-tier” then Chris and I will also personally email, IM and call the biggest sponsors to make sure they know about it! I can not understate how important this is in getting you the best possible deal.

Currently we are offering service for free although we are requesting a 10% commission from the developer if they believe our help was worth it. So far, nearly every developer has offered this to us after the deal. It is completely at your discretion.

If you are interested in uploading your game we request that you site lock it to
    flashgamelicense.com and fantasticchoice.com. The fantastichcoice.com URL will go away in the near future. It is also best practice to encrypt your game. Only approved sponsors are allowed to view your games but it never hurts to be extra cautious with your valuable IP.

You can also upload ‘work in progress’ and update your build as you game nears completion. Often this can be a way to build interest (and eventually get some feedback) on your game during the development process.

If you still have distribution rights to some of your old games (ArcadeTown and Kongregate sponsorship often allow this) you can upload the game and mark it as only being available for a non-exclusive license. There are a lot of new start-ups with venture capital looking to emulate the success of ***** Hotel, Club Penguin and other success sites. Many are looking to take quality existing games, add their own branding and APIs, and get a version that is only playable on their site. They often pay between $250-$1000 for this depending the quality and type of game.

Chris and I are both game developers (Asteroids Revenge, Sola Rola, Juggle Trouble) and our primary goal is to get YOU the best possible deals and value for your hard work.

Please let us know if you have any questions. I hope we will get the opportunity to work with you!

Reserved for FAQ

Good luck chaps, VERY nice idea for a site. I just sent you a shiny new game. Hope you can make us all a bit of $$$.

The game submition form is very complete. This kind of website has already been done a couple of years ago (http://www.pnflashgames.com/). But
    your approach is much more simple (it's just a place to meet sponsors and game dev) and that might work. I wish you good luck

Hey EvilKris, thanks for uploading your trivia game.
    I haven't brokered a trivia game before but hopefully we will find some interest.

Sietjp, there are a TON of sites that want you to upload your game to distribute it across the web. Some will share revenues or some (like Newgrounds) will help get you a lot of exposure.

However, once you release your game this way you have given up (mostly) your chance of getting a sponsorship. FlashGameLicense doesn't distribute your game it creates a location to allow potential sponsors to view is securely.

We do have some idea on the distribution side of things. We are planning (eventually) an optional service to help spread a game after its sponsored to get it as much exposure as possible.

I like the idea of auctioning off sponsorship. Hopefully you offer the option of the $ amounts to be hidden or displayed at developer's choice.

Sure bud. I'm not expecting miracles, just helping you get on your feet. Probably a trivia game is better marketed at the Yahoo news-reading crowds rather than the Newgrounds.com kiddies.

Hi Ray,

Just a clarification: the site doesn't actually "auction" sponsorships. Sponsors put in offers for the game and the developer can select which offer he or she thinks is best. Of course, in between all of this we are working with the dev and sponsors to get the best deal possible. This may be obvious, but I wanted to state it in case there were others who did not understand exactly how the site functions.

And as to your comment about hiding the $ amounts: this feature could easily be added. I am curious as to why you think it would be necessary, though. We've found that as your offers go up sponsors get more and more interested in the game, so hiding this data could actually hurt you. However, it is possible that I am missing a key reason to want this so please share

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by ch00se
    And as to your comment about hiding the $ amounts: this feature could easily be added. I am curious as to why you think it would be necessary, though. We've found that as your offers go up sponsors get more and more interested in the game, so hiding this data could actually hurt you. However, it is possible that I am missing a key reason to want this so please share
    I figure that for some developers, they might prefer the discretion. (Nobody likes a pissing contest). And for some sponsors too, might want to hide how much they are offering. For same reason people debate that $ shouldn't be discussed in this forum.

But I don't know. I should use the system first before critiquing.

Critiques are always welcome!

No other dev can see your games, this includes any information about your game such as the offers that you have on your game. As far as sponsors being able to make a discreet offer, there is a mechanism in place to handle this, but we haven't activated it yet. We have yet to have a sponsor request this feature so we are spending our time on other parts of the site, but have no problem putting it in if need be.

Thanks for your comments. Ultimately all comments will help to shape the site!

I'd like to publicly thank Adam and Chris with their efforts to help us, flash game developers, make it easier to achieve what we love doing and gain profit from it. I've been working with Adam since almost a month ago with my game 'Sentinels of Mijil'. Upon submit, I instantly got offers and it start off from $1000. After several weeks while adding features and finalizing, it got picked up by ArmorGames & Hallpass (a collab/joint sponsorship) just recently for the amount nearly 3x as much the initial offer. Adam was informative from the get go and also provided gameplay insights and suggestions that I believe boost the value of the game. The hard work Chris and Adam put in for FGL showed as it was a very convenient tool to use and I wouldn't be able to focus on game tweaking without their help (imagine I'll need to inform every portal how my game is updated with feature X or Y or Z, they might think I'm spamming them ).

Kudos to Adam and Chris! Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks!

Big thanks to the FGL guys who helped me negotiate a sponsorship and several non-exclusives on my latest game. I could have approached portals myself but there are definite advantages to the wide exposure you receive from FGL and the time savings from trying (and more often than not failing) to contact all the portals. Definitely worth checking out if you are a game dev and keep it up guys

FGL is a great asset for those of us who don't have the knowledge to market, or negotiate properly! They helped me with my last game, and got my initial offer increased by 2.5x! Big thanks, and a very Merry Christmas to all!

Hi all.

I registered as Sponsor yesterday and took a look at the site.
    It's a good idea and a good start.

However, there are a couple of questions and some suggestions I'd like to ask/make:

questions:
    - Do you check the games submitted, before you put them online?
    I ask, because I opened a lot of games and some just did not work for me (blank screen, or nothing happens after preloder) and some games redirect to other sites or showed a copyright infringment message and so on.
    - Would it be possible to ask developers to disable Mocchi Ads for display on flashgamelicense.com? It's annoying to always have to wait to see the game, just to find out that the game is bad. I have no time for this.
    - If a game offers different licensing/sponsoring options and if it has a bid, how do I know for what option the bid was made for? The only way to find out is contacting the developer and asking, which I think is to complicated in the beginning and may take too much time or may even be unsuccessful.

suggestions:
    - I'd like to have a filter option for "Game Exposure".
    For example that I can filter out games with status "Widely Available"
    - In your post above you wrote:
    "If your game is “top-tier” then Chris and I will also personally email, IM and call the biggest sponsors to make sure they know about it!"
    I think this is some kind of "distortion of competition"
    In my opinion you have to mail every registered Sponsor, not only the "biggest".
    - how about having a "comment on game" option for sponsors?
    Some developers may wonder why noone is interested in their game, and it may help if I can comment why the game don't work in my opinion and what could be done better.

That's it for now.
    Keep up your work.

A note to developers:
    Feel free to contact me at juggernart|at|juggernart|dot|com

Thanks
    Last edited by me2222; 12-20-2007 at 05:14 AM.
    juggernart.com

Thanks for the questions and comments me2222,

Currently we do not have a pending process for games. Any game uploaded to the site goes straight onto the website. However, Adam and I are always looking at the site and take games down we deem inappropriate. If you found games that are blank, or redirects, or have some sort of copyright message it is probably due to domain locking issues. Recently, we moved domains and many of the games need to be updated. We are working with the developers to fix this.

We actually have thought of having developers filter our site for mochiads, I agree that the longer the wait the more frustrating it gets when all you are trying to do is assess the quality of a game (and this is multiplied by each game you look at).

Sponsors are supposed to put the terms of their offers in the offer notes. In many cases however, the type of license they are paying for isn't important since they are just trying to get the best deal possible. The most obvious exception for this is non-exclusive licenses, and we are VERY close to completing a fix for this. In the future, non-exclusive only games will be listed in a separate area of the site.

It is funny that you mention filters. We have the ability to filter on almost everything, but you are only the second sponsor to give us any indication that you even looked at the game view settings. No other sponsors seem to care about these settings so we have put them off for more important priorities. However, since you mention it I will probably spend some time on it today

We absolutely let every sponsor know when a new game is added. And actually in the very near future an email will be sent to every sponsor whenever a game is added (assuming they "opt in" to receive these emails). I think Adam was just adding a bit of marketing flare, becaues - of course - all the sponsors viewing our site are the biggest and best!

You can comment on every game. When you go to the gameplay page just scroll down. You will see a huge text box that says "Send the developer feedback on this game:". It has actually had much success!

Thanks again for your questions and suggestions. I think this kind of feedback is what is going to make the site the perfect tool for bringing developers and sponsors together!

If anyone else has any questions or comments please feel free to share.

Chris

I like this site and have bids on a couple of games there. Although I think some of the games are overpriced, I have succesfully purchased a game from there at a good price and am very happy with the results, give this site a shot.
    Flash Ninja Clan - Games and cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    ...Although I think some of the games are overpriced...
    Good point. That was one of my thoughts I had while having a first look yesterday.

However, there are surely various factors why some portals may pay overpriced.
    And... "big portals" can afford it.
    juggernart.com

You'll never outbid the big portals and thats one of the problems that smaller sites face. Even mediocre games that don't get hardly any exposure go for a high price at times because big portals bid them up. Thats why I'm doing my offers for free co-sponsorships on games that I create. I run a medium-size site getting a little more 30,000 pageviews a day and quickly growing. My goals for offering free exclusive co-sponsorships for free is twofold:

1. To help small portals get a jump start and get some traffic so they can compete

2. To actually stabalize the price a bit a these mediocre games. Half these games don't even do as well on NG as the games I program myself and I feel like offering exclusive co-sponsorships for free to smaller websites will straighten out the market a bit.

You see, now there are sites to help and inform developers how to get the best price but no sites that help sponsors get the best value for their money.

Good games like Asteroid's Revenge III are worth every cent, but usualy mediocre games aren't.

Add to the fact that we can't openly discuss actual numbers in forums like this and it creates an unbalanced market in favor of developers.
    Last edited by Archbob; 12-20-2007 at 06:14 PM.

"Add to the fact that we can't openly discuss actual numbers in forums like this and it creates an unbalanced market in favor of developers."

lol, yeah we're all sleeping in gold beds of a night.

For years developers have had so few outlets that it's become a buyers market, it's about time the balance is redressed a little.

At the end of the day, if you're sponsoring a game, you're making money on it with little to no creative input. All you're doing is presenting someone else's work, and even then it's just farmed out to every portal under the sun to increase exposure, it's not as if the developers work is seen in the best light with a custom web page for it.

Hopefully this will be the start of the end of all the $500< deals, or at the very least games sold for that price will just be the dross and the good developers making good games will finally get a fair price for their work.

Squize.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    "Add to the fact that we can't openly discuss actual numbers in forums like this and it creates an unbalanced market in favor of developers."

At the end of the day, if you're sponsoring a game, you're making money on it with little to no creative input. All you're doing is presenting someone else's work, and even then it's just farmed out to every portal under the sun to increase exposure, it's not as if the developers work is seen in the best light with a custom web page for it.
    Do you realize how much exposure most games get? Most mediocre games get like almost no exposure and I think developers will find they will not even make anything close off of Mochi Ads if no one is willing to sponsor it. Consider the average salary for a technical worker in the US. Most of those games would only take me a few hours to make. Plus when you buy, you don't get the source code as if you were hiring someone.

Honestly for most of the game that ask for sponsorship from us, we will never ever make the money back that we paid for them.

Its a simple fact that most games simply aren't worth the money. It doesn't matter how much you put into it. If it doesn't score at least 3.5 on Newgrounds and doesn't get featured on addictinggames and other large portals, the sponsor gets screwed because he/she will never see a return on profit.

Get spread to every site under the sun? Get real, only a handful of the top games can that much exposure, your lucky to get 1 or 2 large sites to pick it up if your game isn't of high quality.