A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendations/discussions

Book recommendations/discussions

Use this thread to post and discuss Flash book recommendations.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Just to get these out of the way, here are a few of my favorites:

Essential Actionscript 3.0
    and
    Essential Actionscript 2.0
    ...essential reference books for any flash programmers library...LOVE these and use them all the time...

Foundation ActionScript Animation: Making Things Move!
    and
    Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move!
    both by Keith Peters
    ...great explanation of the scripts used and highlights the fundamentals of how the scripts are written. The biggest difference in the two is that the second gets into classes and functions much more while the first one just focuses on the basic scripts

Just to get started...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Can anyone suggest me a good book that deals with oop and actionscript 3?
    Smile is a small curve which can solve big problems

There are several:

What Flashpipe suggested is probably a very nice book for Actionscript 3 judging from the Actionscript 2 version, which I know.

Flash XML applications (by Joachim Schnier) deals with AS2 and transitioning to AS3 apart from XML integration.

There are others. Go to Amazon and search for what you want.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Multitouch Aficionado
    Foundation AS3 Animation (Keith Peters) is a fantastic introduction to OOP and AS3. It's only $20 on friendsofed.com.

I second Essential Actionscript 3.0. Colin Mook did a superb job. This book is a permanent resident on my desk serving as a reference tool.

Bored Robot

any Recommendations for a good ACTIONSCRIPT 3 book ??

I just would like some opinion on purchasing a good actionscript 3 book ... preferably some that has many hands on exercises ... a book full of good scripts to use for non-pro actionscripters ... I am good with the rest of FLASH, just want to brush up my actionscripting 3 ... Thanks

M e r r y
    C h r i s t m a s ! ! ! foos

trace("AKA: Biro Barna");
    Merry X-Mas to you too. Regarding the books, well, you could go for AS 3.0 Bible, Essential AS 3.0, Making things move - Animation, OOP. Simply surf www.amazon.com with the keyword: "actionscript 3.0" and you'll get everything you need.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Actionscript 3.0 Cookbook
    and
    Advanced ActionScript 3 with Design Patterns: Books: Joey Lott,Danny Patterson
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

What's a good book to get for someone who's intermediate in AS 2.0, but brand new to AS 3.0?

Multitouch Aficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by momtartin
    What's a good book to get for someone who's intermediate in AS 2.0, but brand new to AS 3.0?

Keith Peters' Foundation AS3 Animation

I have keith's making things move book for as3 and it's been very good. I had the original Essential Actionscript 2.0 by Colin Moock. I loved that book but I've been hesitant to pick up Essential Actionscript 3.0 because of some not so kind reviews of people comparing the two on Amazon. Comments?

I have the same question about design patterns. This is something I know a little about but that I really want to take the next step in. Again I've looked on Amazon and multiple books have great recommendations but at the same time have comments from seemingly hardcore programmers that say stay away.

Thanks ahead of time.

Multitouch Aficionado
    There's a book on Safari Bookshelf called Advanced ActionScript Design Patterns (I think it's by Joey Lott).

I've flipped through it now and again. It can be a bit obtuse, but if you give it some good thought, you ought to be able to digest it.

Code:
    Advanced ActionScript 3 with Design Patterns: Books: Joey Lott,Danny Patterson
    Be careful when reading the above book, the code has errors here and there. mostly variable name errors (don't have the book in front of me at the moment)

example would be something like:
    if he used:
    Code:
    public var itemExampleVar:Number;
    the next page might have:
    Code:
    public var exampleVar:Number;
    But the actual content of the book is great.

ActionScript 2.0 or 3.0

Hi, I just posted a "Quick Reply" which I think was a mistake since I don't see my post here. Sorry but I am new here.

Anyway, my situation is this: I am learning flash CS3 and will be needing to do some ActionScript for an upcoming project. I'm wondering if I should be learning 2.0 or 3.0. I have read that there could be compatibility issues with 3.0. I wonder if that's correct. I recently purchased Essential ActionScript 3.0 and do feel a bit intimidated by the voluminous content but will tough it out in order to gain the knowledge I feel I should have. My question is should I be starting with ActionScript 3.0 and do I have the best book?

Thanks for any input.

<mod edit> Per the rules, some posts are sent to the approval queue. Please display patience in the future. Thanks in advance - gerbick (supermod)

Quote Originally Posted by FerdB
    My question is should I be starting with ActionScript 3.0 and do I have the best book?
    Depends on what you want to do. Complex games should use AS3 because it gives you more 'horse power' but you are going to be limited the computer market.

AS2 is great if you want wider audience like wii, cellphones, older 'non upgradable' computers, and more.

the 2 languages are pretty different but AS3 is more like a 'regular' programming language so general programming books (like Code Complete) relate better to it.

If you tell us what you are looking to achieve it may help better answer your request.

Thanks Deadlock.

I have a client that wants to do something similar to this link:
    http://www.ustile.com/dabPreload.html

Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide
    by Rich Shupe , Zevan Rosser

Really great if you're just starting out with AS3...

If you want to take it to the next level and learn some OOP, the best book in my opinion is the Object-Oriented ActionScript 3.0 put out by friends of ed. The first book for AS2 was great to for those still working in AS2.

I really dig Moock’s book as well but it’s more of a reference book or AS3 Encyclopedia. Great for looking something up but you kind of need to have an idea of where and what to look for, great for an experienced developer. The first book is more of a walk you though it actually read the whole thing cover to cover book.

What AS3 book can you recommend for gaming and network game creation