A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendations/discussions

trace("AKA: Biro Barna");
    For games, i'd recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/ActionScript-3...4022921&sr=8-7

| Windows MSN: birobarna [at] hotmail [dot] com | Skype: barna.biro |
    WebLog: http://blog.wisebisoft.com/ |
    | Software Developer / Flash & Flex Developer | Student ( Computer Science ) | Interested in: Sharing Knowledge |
    |
    Romanian Adobe Flash, Flex, AIR Forum: http://www.flashforum.ro/
    | By perseverance the snail reached the ark. |

I've heard very bad things about Flash Game University, but unfortunately the guy who wrote Flash MX 2004 game design hasn't updated his book for actionscript 3.

Flash Game University from what I've heard goes about several things (such as the tile based game in the book) in a very poor way. I wouldn't recommend it!

trace("AKA: Biro Barna");
    I own Flash Game University and although it's not the best book ever but it's a good book ( and it is AS 3.0 ). You can't write something that everyone will like but the book is definitely not for beginners, don't even expect to see step by step examples in the book. Since the book covers more then one game type, it's a bit hard to cover each type perfectly, that's why, maybe the tile based game might seem for some poorly covered ( but that's not true, as I mentioned, the book is not really designed for total noobs ). In 440 pages, that's the most you can get, if you want detailed explanations for each game type then that would result into separate books for each type ( over 500 pages each ).

I'd suggest you try it and judge it once you've read it.

Cheers

| Windows MSN: birobarna [at] hotmail [dot] com | Skype: barna.biro |
    WebLog: http://blog.wisebisoft.com/ |
    | Software Developer / Flash & Flex Developer | Student ( Computer Science ) | Interested in: Sharing Knowledge |
    |
    Romanian Adobe Flash, Flex, AIR Forum: http://www.flashforum.ro/
    | By perseverance the snail reached the ark. |

What's a good book recommendation for someone who has little to no experience with Actionscript?

I highly recommend "Learning ActionScript 3"... as do many other people.
    It's a great book for getting into AS3 as a beginner and beyond.

Thank you.

Hey everyone,
    I'm new here, but i was wondering if anyone knew of any good books/articles on using flash for pulling/saving external data from databases (SQL and Access in particular). Any resources would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Instructional Designer
    Whidbey Island: north of Seattle, east of Victoria, south of Vancouver

Here's my AS 3.0 recommendations

Essential ActionScript 3.0 by Moock is excellent. It can be intimidating for some because Moock can be very abstract (not as many practical exercises). I thought Essential AS 3.0 was an improvement over the 2.0 version because Moock steps immediately into actual development (making just a little less abstract). This book is the sine qua non for the serious ActionScripter. I could wish for more about the graphics class (using code for vector drawing).

For a quicker start (and then back to Moock), try ActionScript 3.0 Game Programming University, by Gary Rosenzweig. You’ll start with timeline scripting and move rapidly to OOP. Gary’s stuff is no where near as deep as Moock’s, but it is good for a “leg up.”

The ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook, by Joey Lott, et al, is oddly schizophrenic. At times it seems insultingly simple and at others it blithely assumes knowledge. Still, in combination with other books I’ve found it valuable. It has a wealth of code.

ActionScript 3.0 for Adobe Flash CS3 Professional is another book for those new to 3.0. It is actually better for individuals entirely new to coding of any kind. I found it very slow to get to the interesting stuff, but that is because it is very elementary to start with, covers the subject with considerable care for the rookie. While it does cover the creating class files, the book does not model OOP for most of its content.

My experience with the Bible series is that it covers everything, but nothing well.
    Tomas

I liked ActionScript 3.0 Bible the best. It seemed to cover more breadth than Essential AS 3.0 and was organized in a more coherent way (I thought).

If I remember correctly EAS did not cover sound or video. EAS, however, went much deeper into many topics, such as Events, namespaces,and security; much deeper.

Learning ActionScript 3.0 is amazing for starting to learn AS3. That is what I used, and after going through about 5 languages and various other beginner books for AS3 too, I have to say LAS 3.0 is one of the best beginner books. Ever. Well organized, good code examples, beautiful layout/graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Big 'Un
    Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide
    by Rich Shupe , Zevan Rosser

Really great if you're just starting out with AS3...
    I second this book, I'm currently about 2/3 way through reading it and have learned a lot, and it's sticking pretty well, I feel like I understand everything.

I tried reading Essential Actionscript 3, but a considerable amount of it was a bit hard to follow and went over my head. I think I'll come back to this book after finishing Learning AS3.

This book looks interesting -- Flash Professional 8 Game Development.
    http://www.amazon.com/Macromedia-Fla.../dp/1584504870
    Has anyone read it? Shame it hasn't been re-written for AS3, I'm considering on getting it to read the stuff on tile based games.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but have worked in Swishmax for a little over a year. I just bought CS3 Professional and hope to get to programming in AS3.

What would be a good book for me to learn the new interface (I'm so lost) of CS3 and also assist in learning AS3 for someone who was basic-intermediate in AS2?

I was looking at picking up the Flash CS3 Bible...but I'm not sure if that will help me get started so much as be a reference for later.

I think you'll find all you need in the recommendations prior to your post.

Personally, I liked Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move! by Keith Peters. The first half brings you up to speed on basic as3, however, the rest is very much centered on as3 mathimatical animation (including 3D).

Probably, something like Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide by Rich Shupe , Zevan Rosser would be better for you.
    Search first, asked questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgoth
    I think you'll find all you need in the recommendations prior to your post.

Personally, I liked Foundation Actionscript 3.0 Animation: Making Things Move! by Keith Peters. The first half brings you up to speed on basic as3, however, the rest is very much centered on as3 mathimatical animation (including 3D).

Probably, something like Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide by Rich Shupe , Zevan Rosser would be better for you.
    That's good for AS3, but I'm trying to get one that also introduces me to CS3 as I have never worked in Flash before, I was always in Swish

I dont know that you would need a book to teach you how to use CS3. If you watch a few video tutorials, you'll pick up everything you need to know pretty quick.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/
    http://www.gotoandlearn.com

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the CS3 interface.
    Search first, asked questions later.

i prefer the as3 bible also

check here for an excellent overview of AS3 using workshop slides:

http://gskinner.com/talks/as3workshop/

hope it helps the transition
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

flash chick
    A big Thanks to those that suggested Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide by Rich Shupe , Zevan Rosser.

I picked it up based on suggestions from this thread and I am off an running. It's so much better than other books and videos I tried. AMAZING.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    My list of book recommendations:
    http://visualflowdesigns.com/book-recommendations/

If you have any requests on topics to be covered in future Flex books, please let me know, I have some friends in the publishing industry who are looking for ideas on new Flex books.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

I would like to find something that covers AS3 and working with databases. Writing to a DB & getting info from the DB.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    As far as AS goes, that process is pretty much the same (HTTPService and the other remote call classes). However, what is going to vary is the server side language (ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, JSP) and the Database system (MySQL, Postgresql, MSSQL).

Were you looking for something that focuses purely on the AS side of it, or where you looking for a total package type thing that included the server side code and the SQL?

Quote Originally Posted by frizb
    I would like to find something that covers AS3 and working with databases. Writing to a DB & getting info from the DB.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog