A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Book recommendations/discussions

AS3 Book that references the difference with AS2

I am seasoned with AS2, and I am looking for a book that kinda' does a comparison of code that AS2 would do and it's counterpart in AS3 code....this I feel would make it faster to learn and pick up quicker...any thoughts ?

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1312
    I am seasoned with AS2, and I am looking for a book that kinda' does a comparison of code that AS2 would do and it's counterpart in AS3 code....this I feel would make it faster to learn and pick up quicker...any thoughts ?
    Not sure about books, but there is this http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/2/langref/migration.html
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Good overview of AS3 API?

Anyone know of a good resource that presents a lot of the less commmonly used as3 classes and methods? All the books rehash the same stuff, the display api typically, some animation, text formatting, summary overview of oop -- am I dreaming or is there anything deeper out there? Moock's essential book didn't fit the bill for me. I don't have any particular need in mind -- just happened to be browsing through the list of classes in flash and can't find info on many in any of my reference books.

Thanks,
    IronGleet

Check this. This shows how to make a Real Estate Website with Database. But it is not so easy to understand. You better have some AS knowledge.

http://www.elsevierdirect.com/produc...=9780240809175
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

i recommend Object Oriented ActionScript 3.0 from friends of ed for anyone who would like to do some serious OOP using As3. This book contain some detailed explanation on bringing OOp concepts to flash+some neat case studies...

I'm somewhat new to Flash. I would like to learn all about Action Scripting as it relates to handling MUSIC and Audio files specifically.

Does anyone know any books that discuss using Audio in Flash, from the ground up?

Thanks, all.

flashguy
    I have developed literally hundreds of complex applications and games in AS 2 for my customers in the last 5 years.

Now, after a long time resisting against this upgrade, I finally was convinced that move to AS 3 is a must.

I confess, though, that after take a look in the first pieces of documentation, I feel like all the knowledge I have in AS 2 will be entirely useless. I have the sensation as if I had landed in a paralel universe where things are completely different!

I decided to pick the beginners book and start from the scratch, as the all new way to code in AS 3, and packages, and such, doesn't make any sense for my dinossaur brain...
    Visit my business at http://www.ballooncreator.com - Software Tool For Party Balloons Online Design!

I'm about 2/3 the way through Derrick Ypenburg's ActionScript 3.0:Learn ActionScript the Qucik and Easy Way! and as someone who knew absolutely nothing about ActionScript 1,2 or 3 I am very glad I bought it. It's easy to follow, well arranged, and it builds on previous examples so you begin to get comfortable with everything. 317 pages, relatively inexpensive, and only 1 typo in the code thus far. It covers the basic and foundational things and so far nothing you could directly use like a menu or image gallery and such things. It doesn't go very deep though so I think I'll move on to other titles after I finish it. I should say though that I don't have anything to compare it to since I am just beginning.

metajake said:
    I'm somewhat new to Flash. I would like to learn all about Action Scripting as it relates to handling MUSIC and Audio files specifically.

Does anyone know any books that discuss using Audio in Flash, from the ground up?
    It does have a chapter devoted to working with sound as well as one that is devoted to working with video.
    Last edited by etuom; 08-25-2009 at 06:21 PM.

flashguy
    metajake (and everyone else that may have interest),

Unfortunatelly Flash do not offer too much sound features, so I think that's why there is not a book dedicated to this matter. Basically the only thing you can do with sound in Flash is import and play it. And also, do very basic things such as control volume, pan, etc.

Searching here in the Flashkit forum you will find a few samples about Flash sound usage that will surelly cover everything you should know.

I feel a big lack about sound control in Flash, and I really would like that it could be able to have the ability to:

1) Sinthesize sounds using soundcard modules
    2) Access MIDI devices
    3) Use nice plugins such as the Steinberg ones or comes with native classes that allow you to process imported sound files on-the-fly

Maybe in AS 9 or 10 it will be available! Or not! LoL!
    Visit my business at http://www.ballooncreator.com - Software Tool For Party Balloons Online Design!

Quote Originally Posted by sims11tz View Post

I disagree. I found essential actionscript 3 to be fairly useless! I have looked up how to use stylemanager and it's not there! Neither is anything else to do with components.

I really like EAS 2.0 (prefer that language as well) but I don't think EAS3.0 covers as much and is set out as well.

I'm going to get Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide , see what thats like. Plus someone has recommended ActionScript 3.0 with Flash CS3 and Flex by Steve Webster, Todd Yard and Sean McSharry, so will check that one out too.

flashguy
    I should let you guys know that I never get absolutelly happy with any tech book... They never cover all aspects, and there is always gaps.

To tell you the truth, mostly of times that I have bought a book, I didnt go through it for more than 1/4 of those pages, and the REAL tricks and solutions I got from online boards - such as Flashkit, Kirupa, etc!

Programming ActionScript 3.0 downloaded from Adobe.com is the most straight forward guide to start actionscript ever. It is very well layout and written.
    Link to the file: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/...rogramming.pdf
    Last edited by flashmed; 08-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/...rogramming.pdf

This was indeed very helpful and is something that we often ensure that our new employees are aware of when they are having issues (all be it, the Adobe live docs are also very helpful).

i feel AS2 is easy for me to work..

-Real World Flash Game Development - introduces OOP concepts and general Actionscript 3.0 concepts. Also gives nice tips.
    -Advanced Game Design with Flash - As the name suggests, it shows you how to code advanced game design concepts.
    -Flash Classroom in a book - Mostly for design, but also a bit of very basic coding for navigation.