A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Weird Glitches on animation

Weird Glitches on animation

Hi Folks,

I'm working on a as3 project and I've been having problems with a werid Glitch on the movement. Any movieclip i move across the screen glitches, like an old CRT screen.

I thought it was resources so stripped everything back and nothing. Finally I produced a simple MovieClip with a drawn rectange in it and animated it across the screen in a number of ways, Tween Engines, Enter Frames and timers. Every single one of them had the same effect.

Any Idea whats up?

Ive been having the exact same problem, and just recently posted it...
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=752152

It thought it was just my setup (Flex Builder Linux Alpha), but its good to know its not only my problem (sorry!!!)

Bitmap.smoothing = true is suppose to increase the quality of animation, but I cant say its helps for me. I believe it applies more to transformations and scaling, where my movie involves translating several unscaled bitmaps at the same time.

My glitches were happening at 25-30 FramePerSecond. After raising to 40-50 FPS, and then lowering the pixels to move per frame, I started getting much better results. The glitches are still there, but there are much less noticeable.
    The smaller the increment your graphics move by, the better they will look.
    I also found that hard edges really exaggerate the glitches, so hiding or overlapping edges helped out.

My take, is that flash is not synchronizing its display buffer properly with the monitor. I really dont have a clue on how flash displays the stage to your monitor, or how OS's and Browsers complicate it further. But, Ive run tests with the StandAlone Player 9 using Event.Render to record stats on all of my Bitmaps before being rendered, compared them, and the state of each Bitmap is great. There are no problems with coordinates or size, and everything matches up.
    At the same time, I was running a OS native screen capture to collect every frame on my monitor. There are (monitor)frames where the display is just messed up. Half of a Bitmap will be shifted 5 pixels left from the other half of the same Bitmap, and sometimes it would stay in that position for more than two (monitor)frames.

Who know why it happens, but it does, and I feel your pain. My end result looks good, and for most people, they probably dont even notice my little discrepancies.

Good Luck working it out, and if you figure out something, hit me back.

Thats not good news. Looks like i'll be re-writting this in AS2 if I can't find a solution.

Thats mental. Does this happen to everyone? I was wondering weather I had a corrupt install of CS3.

:/

can you upload the swf in question?

Yeah. This is just a test so I've added a few more animations to keep it going.

This one uses a tween manager. Any Ideas?

Here's the code (repeated on two frames(1,15) 30 frames long at 30fps:

import com.boostworthy.animation.management.AnimationMana ger;
    import com.boostworthy.animation.easing.Transitions;
    import com.boostworthy.animation.rendering.RenderMethod;

this.bud1 = new NewMC();
    this.bud1.x = 550;
    this.bud1.y = 40;
    this.addChild(this.bud1);

m_objAnimationManager = new AnimationManager();
    m_objAnimationManager.move(this.bud1, -500, this.bud1.y, 10000, Transitions.CUBIC_OUT, RenderMethod.ENTER_FRAME);
    Attached Files Attached Files

well if animationManager throws some events maybe you can use it to 'event.updateAfterEvent'

Or I remember once while I was playing round with the twee/transitionManager class I told the tween object to start() after I defined the tween (which usually auto plays it) but ended up with a smoother result. but I never really looked into it passed that.

Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on. Weird.

Hi Guys, I did some more testing and have found out that it only happens on Unix and PC computers. There are no problems with Mac.

Is is a player problem or CS3? Its not code as even animation on the timeline flickers.

must be fulling under this problem:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hlight=tearing

and the potential solution, (from the above thread)
    http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showpost...79&postcount=4

Cheers Deadlock. I liked your site by the way. I need to get mine up.

Cheers Deadlock, sorted it thanks to your link.

It was cause I had it vertically scrolling and only mac's sync flash to the monitor refresh.

Stick a bit of x y movement and tweak it and it works OK.