A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swift 3d environments, shadows and planes

swift 3d environments, shadows and planes

if i stick a cube in the middle of the stage in swift then it just sits there in the middle of space and does not cast any shadows etc.

if I put the cube directly ontop of a plane then I get nice shadows cast onto the plain.

Is there a way i can get swift 3d to react as if there is a plain there and produce shadows etc. without having to export the plain in the final file?

This is an issue because i want the shadow effects, but need to sit the objects sat on a transparent background created in flash.

I could just remove the plain from the exported file frame by frame but was hoping for a more automated solution.

Yes, I'm afraid you do need to render out the plane along with everything else. It's either there and the shadow gets cast upon it, or it's not and there is nothing there to cast the shadow upon.

One thing you can do is to export to .SWFT which will render out a separate shadow layer. It only works for vector renderings, but you can use the same technique to create a shadow that can be converted later for raster applications.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

thanks - i am exporting to vector format so the shadow layer is a great feature. IT wasn't actually too much trouble to remove the plane as the swft exporter keeps non moving elements on a seperate layer as much as it can so I only had to edit one or two frames to get the desired effect.

Thanks for the advice.