A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: onPlayStatus()?

onPlayStatus()?

Sometimes I find the AS3 documentation so confusing. How exactly do I use NetStream.onPlayStatus()? I'm assuming I need to write an event listener, but not sure how it should go...

I am also having issues with onPlayStatus event.

I have it set up the same way as I do with onMetaData (which works), but onPlayStatus has not even fired a simple trace("HI") statement.

Any help would be very appreciated!
    -Jake

Will moderate for beer
    Well, I haven't used NetStream, but the docs don't seem that confusing.
    onPlayStaus is actually a property of the NetStream.client object. It isn't an event, but is listed in the Events section because it responds to a data event, either when streaming media using Flash Media Server or during FLV file playback. For more information, see the NetStream class description. You cannot use the addEventListener() method, or any other EventDispatcher methods, to listen for, or process onPlayStatus as an event. Rather, you must define a single callback function and attach it directly to one of the following objects:

* The object that the client property of a NetStream instance references.
    * An instance of a NetStream subclass. NetStream is a sealed class, which means that properties or methods cannot be added to a NetStream object at runtime. However, you can create a subclass of NetStream and define your event handler in the subclass or make the subclass dynamic and add the event handler function to an instance of the subclass.
    You need to define an onPlayStatus method in whatever you are using as the client.

Will moderate for beer
    onPlayStaus is actually a property of the NetStream.client object. It isn't an event, but is listed in the Events section because it responds to a data event, either when streaming media using Flash Media Server or during FLV file playback. For more information, see the NetStream class description. You cannot use the addEventListener() method, or any other EventDispatcher methods, to listen for, or process onPlayStatus as an event. Rather, you must define a single callback function and attach it directly to one of the following objects:

* The object that the client property of a NetStream instance references.
    * An instance of a NetStream subclass. NetStream is a sealed class, which means that properties or methods cannot be added to a NetStream object at runtime. However, you can create a subclass of NetStream and define your event handler in the subclass or make the subclass dynamic and add the event handler function to an instance of the subclass.
    You need to define an onPlayStatus method in whatever you are using as the client.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TonsOfFlax View Post

Yes, the documentation is pretty clear. What is confusing is that it just does not work.
    The onPlayStatus handler is never called.

dont use that, listen for NetStream.Play.Stop which is dispatched when video finishes playing

Actionscript Code:
    netStream.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, doNetStatus);
    private function doNetStatus(e:NetStatusEvent):void {
    switch (e.info.code) {
    case "NetStream.Play.Stop" ://Playback has stopped.
    }
    }

Quote Originally Posted by regbolD View Post
    dont use that, listen for NetStream.Play.Stop which is dispatched when video finishes playing

Actionscript Code:
    netStream.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, doNetStatus);
    private function doNetStatus(e:NetStatusEvent):void {
    switch (e.info.code) {
    case "NetStream.Play.Stop" ://Playback has stopped.
    }
    }
    Doesn't that get fired whenever the playback is stopped? (as opposed to only when it reaches the end)

no, only when it reaches the end.
    and there is no stop playback, you can either pause/resume it or close the netstream all together.

I understand.
    Thanks a lot.

I wonder why the documentation mentions an onPlayStatus handler that does not exist.

onPlayStatus does exist - but functions for only streaming video not progressive download. When buffering - you should implement NetStatus.play.stop.

Here is my info source:

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s...=159194&page=3

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by DJRoberts View Post
    onPlayStatus does exist - but functions for only streaming video not progressive download.

Hope this helps
    This helps a lot.
    Adobe's documentation really sucks. It doesn't mention that onPlayStatus only works for true streaming, and it definitely should.

Although indeed, there's no reason why onPlayStatus shouldn't work for progressive download too. Maybe that's a bug. There are so many. Documentation is not the only thing that sucks about Flash.