A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Windows

Frozen Windows

So, this has been happening every winter. Our apartment is so humid for some reason that once it drops below freezing our windows will be frozen shut. Being on the 3rd floor of the complex means that I can't break the ice out from the outside.

Any ideas on how to open these windows?

wait till springtime.

heating them can make them crack, opening them take strength only a ninja and chuck norris can attain.

try spraying some de-ice in teh cracks and hope it seeps in enough to melt it enough to open.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Try the judicious application of heat by way of hair dryer.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Get a dehumidifier for your humid apartment. Or leave the windows open ^^

move
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHVision
    Try the judicious application of heat by way of hair dryer.
    I was thinking that too. But, silver says that might crack them. And, judging by where he is from, I would tend to believe he knows.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

--===00OO00===--
    You all are missing the most important part. You shouldn't suffer alone. Wanna get this problem fixed. Go outside with your hose and spray down everyone else windows with water and let theirs freeze too.
    "For an assassin he...he is pretty nice." ~The Darkness that Comes Before

The Catalyst Corp.

I would also vote dehumidify the room.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Glass cracks with sudden temperature changes. If you could find someway to slowly heat it up then you might be able to do it without breaking the glass. If it breaks at least your window will be open.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

We tried the hairdryer solution last year, either the dryer was not powerful enough, or our windows are properly insulated (probably both).

I'd love a dehumidifier if it didn't cost $100-200 for a decent one. Unless someone knows how well the tiny $40 ones work.

I might be able to treat the window with a deicer solution before it gets too cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    I would probably use that solution more on my neighbors than the windows.

ctrl+alt+del

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    buy a mac?

sorry just begged to be said
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

just cry.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    Glass cracks with sudden temperature changes.
    glass cracks when the temperature of the glass is uneven.

Coat seams with a thick vegetable oil. Might want to try husqvarna's chainsaw oil.. it's veggie based and rated well below freezing.

Or olive oil.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I'm doing some searching online and all I can find is articles saying that it cracks if the temperature is changed suddenly. A car window defroster uses hot air to get rid of the frost. That is hot air on one side with freezing temperatures on the opposite side and I haven't had my window crack from using the defroster yet because it slowly heats up the window.

You can also take a glass dish and put it in the oven at a high temperature. Take it out and put it in the freezer or in a sink full of cold water. It will shatter not because the temperature is uneven but because of the sudden change.
    Last edited by jasonsplace; 12-11-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

a hair dryer would provide a sudden change. they dont heat up slowly, they get hot very quickly.

if you have one get an electric blanket, get it so its covering the windows and set it to a low temp. it should heat them slowly enough to melt the outside ice.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    I'm doing some searching online and all I can find is articles saying that it cracks if the temperature is changed suddenly. A car window defroster uses hot air to get rid of the frost. That is hot air on one side with freezing temperatures on the opposite side and I haven't had my window crack from using the defroster yet because it slowly heats up the window.
    I have. Although it already had a small chip in it.

You can also take a glass dish and put it in the oven at a high temperature. Take it out and put it in the freezer or in a sink full of cold water. It will shatter not because the temperature is uneven but because of the sudden change.
    if you put a glass into cold water the temperature change is uneven. The freezer thing might work if you could suspend the glass in air.. as metal will conduct temperature much faster than air.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

what's so difficult about pounding on the edges until the ice break?

Window glass, glass dishes and windshields are all very different anyway. If you freeze the inside of a thick beer mug and heat the outside it will likely shatter due to the difference in heat, a thin wine glass will not shatter since the heat can pass through it easier.

Window glass is meant to stand up to change in temperature and most windows that I've seen are double paned with a pocket of air in between. The pocket of air serves as insulation and the window is meant to survive with below zero temperatures outside and higher temperatures inside (hence why I don't need to wear a coat when I'm home).

A blow dryer won't do much because of the insulation, I would never be able to heat the ice from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    what's so difficult about pounding on the edges until the ice break?
    Tried it last year and it didn't work. It probably has something to do with where the ice is.