A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flame work

Flame work

Hey guys and gals.
    I am looking to play around with some flame work. But I have always struggled for some reason with this. I am great at manipulating flame photos but I want to actually create something.

So any of you know of any good tutorials out there. Some real hidden jewels. I know google is your friend but I am looking for those lesser know ones.

I don't have a graphics tablet so count that out.

Also I would love to work with both illustrator and photoshop. Below is an example of the type I am looking for.

------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

have you played around with the gradient mesh tool? that's what it looks like your bottom example is utilizing.

there's a great tutorial that could help you out with the techniques of using it, let me see if i can find it.

There are a number of different ways to create flames in Photoshop. One of the most popular seems to be the method where you add flames to text by doing the following:

1) Duplicate the text layer.
    2) Rasterize it.
    3) Rotate the canvas so the text is sideways.
    4) Hit it with the Stylize>Wind filter.
    5) Go nuts with the Liquify filter to pull the straight bits that were blasted out of the text by the last operation into wispy flames.
    6) Color to taste.

One of the best ways I've found to do it though, is to use brushes. This is probably the easiest way to go and will produce some of the most realistic results. Below is a link to a great flame brush set for Photoshop. The site also has some flame patterns that are very useful for creating flames and explosions, along with a tutorial about how to make it happen. Lots of other great brushes and patterns as well.

http://www.brushes.obsidiandawn.com/sets/flames.htm

For these flame brushes, pick a deep, rich and vibrant orange for your foreground color then stamp once with the brush. Duplicate this layer then change the blending mode to Color Dodge. If this doesn't produce a beautiful yellow-orange flame effect, try tweaking the color on the bottom layer. When it's the right shade of orange, it works perfectly.

It's not quite done yet, but here is a banner for the FK Red Team that I put together just yesterday that makes use of the flame brush technique.

I don't remember if I used a brush from the set linked above or one from another set by 'Dark Dana', and I can't find the link to the second set right now so if you want to PM me with your email address, I can just send you the other one if you are interested.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Loving that Image Rush!

Painter also has flame brushes, came free with my Wacom tablet, let us know how you get on finding the perfect flame
    D

I had this nice long reply typed out yesterday. Bleh then the tri-county area had a black out. So here we go again.

LeftEye, I haven't messed with it yet but it its on my list of to do's. I have also gotten effects like that in photoshop though, which is how I think that one is done. I got the same type of effects in the below image by creating the main shapes in illustrator and then importing the separate layers into photoshop and applying various blurs and layer effects.

But then again this one may come down to 100 ways to skin a cat.

Rush . . Very FRIGGIN AWESOME SITE! Thank you very much. These will definitely come in handy. But, I am looking for more control. Pretty much I want to create these babies from the floor up. I'm a control freak and I want control of the burn lol. I also am really looking for the vector type look, lol yeah I know usually i'm a realistic look type of guy but not this time.

I am thinking that the first set of flames is done in photoshop and that is a style I want to mess with as well. It looks to just be some layer effects. If anyone has any tutes on this styling send them my way please.

I am going to play around today and if I find anything amazingly wonderful ill post it up in here.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio