A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Turn a SWF into a video file

Turn a SWF into a video file

This is probably a very simple question but I'm at a loss here.

Is there a program available or any other way for me to turn a completed SWF into an MPEG or Quicktime or other video file?

I've seen plenty of flash movies showcased on youtube recently and I thought about putting some of my work up there. Any help would be appreciated.

FYI, I have none of my original FLA files and all my animations contain basic action scripts.

You could decompile your .swf turn it into a .fla then export out a .mov, then covert to a .flv or let you tube convert your .mov for you.

Use a SWF Decompiler program. It will decompile a swf file then you can save it as an FLA file... when you open it in flash the video assets should be in there. Also check out some of the tools on http://www.geovid.com
    They have some tools for converting SWF or FLV to video.
    Remember, you should only decompile and use someone else's work with their permission.

Awesome, thanks a lot guys.

export flash file swf into a quicktime movie

Hello,

I have completed a lengthy animation with text etc in it using action script and internal Movie clips for the text to animate.

Now I need to export this as a .mov file I am facing with 2 problems.

1. Im using Flash 8 when I select .mov in Publish settings it prompts me to set as Flash play 5 or earlier. When I do that it still gives me an error: "An error occured because a required QuickTime component could not be found."

2. I remember doing this but can't recall how? When I export the .mov file I need the actionscripts to pick, and it's not they just skip it (tried with .avi)

Do I need to edit some properties in my QuickTime? Please help.

OR IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY I CAN GO ABOUT MAKING A VIDEO OF THIS ANIMATION WHICH NEEDS TO BE EVENTUALLY CONVERTED INTO A DVD?

Hope to hear some good news

Hello All,

Ok I got it to work :-) had to make some Preference changes in Quicktime Player to read swf, flash stuff BUT STILL HAVE TO EXPORT USING FLash 5

Incase others need to know.

PS I have QuickTime version 7

On another point. Is there any other way to convert the flash swf into a DVD?

Hi mubinalhaddad,

I got the same problem. What preferences did you change in Quicktime? And does your .mov file looks like the .swf now? I mean, the problem with the internal movieclips.

Thanks,
    gomasa

Hi,

I've got the same problem, what did you change in Quicktime Player because I didn't find this option (enable to read swf files), please help !

Hi,

Follow these steps when you open Quicktime:

Edit --> Preferences --> Quicktime preferences --> File Types tab.

Under Miscellaneous just select all. but specifically Flash Media.

Then in Advanced Tab under Media Types check Enable playback of Flash tracks I dono if this is necessary but hey wat the hell just cleick ém all

Then click ok and close quicktime.. also close your Flash application and open it again. Then publish your file with flash player 5.. hopefully it will work.

All the best.