A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Logo Crit

Logo Crit

Hey gang,

I just started a project for a catering company/bakery and was wondering if you all would mind giving me your input on this logo. The client likes it, but I feel it's not quite there yet. Any ideas/suggestions is most appreciated!

-Sandy
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

I think the font really works with the theme of the image. Its got a kinda cutesy quality to it and the pie is all cutesy so yeah... Um, standard, why not go all caps for printing rules and all that aside. I think it works.

Only thing I'd say, is to curve Anthony's along more of a rounded path to bring it in tighter around the curve of the pie's outer edges itself.
    I'd also like to see Food Services a little bolder? Feels a bit thin under the BIG anthony's... Minor crits.

Not bad. Simple, cute, works for me.

Thanks, Nats! I'll definitely curve the top line more and play with the bottom's line thickness.

Um, standard, why not go all caps for printing rules and all that aside. I think it works.
    Are you saying here that the text should be in all caps? That sentence was a bit confusing to me.

Thanks for the advice!

-Sandy

Bleh, nah man. Usually all caps logos are a norm for legibility and signage purposes, but like I said: this works imo.
    You could do an all caps to see what it looks like, but I doubt it would look good in the font you've decided on.

sandy, i had something written yesterday, but got caught up at work, so i hope it's not too late.

While i know your client likes it, i personally believe it's a looks like clip art. It seems to be lacking something, and it's not color. While i think the text works, it's definitely not perfect. The pie seems to be lacking the most. I don't know what to tell you without stepping on your feet and reworking the logo myself, but personally, i've seen your work before and you can do much better than this. Hope i haven't offended.

Thanks lefty. Don't worry about offending me... as long as you don't call my momma a name we're good.

See I kinda agree with you. I guess my problem is that I don't really understand how to create something in a vector format that doesn't look like clip art. When the logo goes on the site, the plan is to pull it into photoshop so that I can add texture and stuff to it, but for like a business card or other print work, I'm at a loss on how to keep it vector and make it look good.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

-Sandy

I know how to spell addicted netadict's Avatar
    As soon as I looked at this I felt hungry

It's cute and I like the simple/clean line drawing but IMO it does lack a bit of colour. If your client wants their logo to be noticed, they need to add a bit of colour.

As stated before, the word "food" is not emphasized enough.

It has a lipart look because of those clean simple lines.
    Even if it looks like clipart so?

To stop it looking like clip art you need to add some texture, I'm sure the pie will look more realistic with a tad of texture to it. As it stands, I thought the "pie" was a burger
    One blurred photo is a mistake, 10 blurred photos are an experiment,
    100 blurred photos is a style

Thanks netadict! Yeah my son thaught it was a hamburger too.

I guess that my question, how do I add texture to a logo that is in vector format? I'm not well versed in Illustrator at all, so I was attempting to do this one in flash, and outside of some gradients to fake some texture, I'm kinda at a loss.

I pulled the current logo into my psd layout and it looked better once I got it in there and textured it up a bit, but for print work I'm not sure what to do other than put together a business card template in PS at 300 dpi at 100% and tell her if she needs any other print work to email me for additional prices. The print stuff is not part of the original job... she asked me if I could put together a logo for her after-the-fact and I told her I'd take a shot at it, so I don't want to stress over it since it was an add-in that I'm not charging for... but I do want my best work to be represented....

Anyway... thanks for the advice so far! I'd love to hear suggestions on how to apply the advice given to a vector application..

-Sandy

I know how to spell addicted netadict's Avatar
    I'm sure this is not the optimum way of doing things but if it can't be done in any other way this will work:
    In Illustrator, copy the logo to the clipboard then paste it in an empty new file in Photoshop.
    One blurred photo is a mistake, 10 blurred photos are an experiment,
    100 blurred photos is a style

Thanks for the tip, but won't that rasterize the file?