A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Protect massive amount of Images (with SWF Studio?)

Protect massive amount of Images (with SWF Studio?)

Happy New Year everybody!

I'm developing a flash-based standalone application (AS3).

It contains an image catalogue with approx 4GB of Data. I want to make the Data accessible only through the application.

Currently, I'm putting the pictures into Zip-Archives and reading them with fZip, but that's more or less unsecure

I saw that SWF Studio offers Blowfish Data Encryptions for included files. But I guess that's no option since SWF Studo puts everything into a single file. That would grow up to 4GB then Plus I'm working on AS3 and besides the 3.5 Beta there's no AS3 support yet.

Does anybody know an elegant way? Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Frank

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Some of the encryption functions in SWF Studio (lCrytpo.encryptFile and Crypto.decryptFile) were designed to work on external files so you can protect individual files. The only caveat is that you can't load encrypted files into Flash so you'll have to decrypt (expose) them before you can load them. You can delete them immediately after loading them but there's still a window where someone could grab them while you're working with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode
    Some of the encryption functions in SWF Studio (lCrytpo.encryptFile and Crypto.decryptFile) were designed to work on external files so you can protect individual files. The only caveat is that you can't load encrypted files into Flash so you'll have to decrypt (expose) them before you can load them. You can delete them immediately after loading them but there's still a window where someone could grab them while you're working with them.
    Thanks for your answer, that time window wouldn't be a problem at all. It doesn't have to be a 100% secure solution.

But how can I decrpyt externals files? Write a seperate AS3 app with SWF-Studio to convert all .jpg in .dat?

Thanks for your help!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You could write a utility with SWF Studio to encrypt all your image files and convert them into .dat files. When your application is running you can call sscCore.Crypto.decryptFile to dynamically decrypt the files created by the utility to convert dat back to jpgs so you can load them into Flash with a simple loadMovie call.