A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [HELP] Logo advice

[HELP] Logo advice

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some advice/critiques on a logo I want to use to represent any of my future games. Early last year, I was dabbling in this area and produced a quick mock-up of a potential logo (top image), and I really liked the EA logo (plus, for reasons I wont disclose here, I needed to have a circular version of the logo) so I also created a secondary logo (the piece of poo, bottom image). As you can tell, they're both every thing BUT good (especially the second logo), and so I thought I'd get some quality advice from you gfx whiz's (as you can tell by now, I'm much more proficient at coding than drawing ).

I'm not asking for someone to draw me anything (if you don't want to... but of course, I wouldn't be able to credit your work since the logo would be used on all of my work), but could someone at least give me some comments on how to transform the look of what I currently have into eye-candy.

Here’s the currently crappy logos:

Thanks!

Viza.

hey man. i actually like your logo alot. It's got a nice style to it and it's nice and simple like a logo should be.

i took a stab at just improving it, from my own perspective. I did this very quickly, so, it's not perfect, but...what i did was clean up your lines, removed all curves and then fit the logo into a parallelogram. Finally, i pulled the word 'productions' from the logo so the lettering stands out more and added it to an anchor.

Again this is quick but here are a few variations:

Hey, Thanks a lot!

Yeah, when I first drew the logo I did like it a fair bit, but the more I saw it the less I liked it. I've done quite a few slight variations of the logo actually, trying to see if any minimal changes were better than others. I realised that it should have an overall set shape (as you've done, by making it a parallelogram) but I could never get it to look 'just right'. This was the first version I drew, and I liked it the best.

You've doen a fantastic job there. I love how it now has a nice outline, and the idea to give the "productions" line it's own line makes it look extra sleek and suitable. My only biff with what you made is that the gaps in the words "V" and "a" look abnormaly wide compared to the other tiny gaps that seperate the other letters.

I think in the meantime, if you don't mind, I'll use your logo (with small changes, such as narrowing those gaps).

If anyone has anymore advice I'd be more than hapy to hear it.

Viza.

yeah, sure thing. if you have illustrator, feel free to auto trace and adjust to your wishes. I def agree wiht the spacing in teh V&A.

the only other hting i might suggest if you were to take my version is to exaggerate the angle on the parallelogram a bit more to give the logo a slight bit more 'movement'.

I'm not a massive fan of the V, could look far sexier, I would put the word production in at the base of the Z so its part of it, rather than adding a line. Apart from that its excellent. I also think its stronger 2D than 3D, got far more punch to it.

nice work
    D

It's great to hear all of the advice so far! Thanks.

@Black_phoenix: I'm assuming your comments were aimed at the design lefteyewilly produced. I'll test out your suggeston to see if they improve the logos quality, thanks. Btw, when you say "put the word production in at the base of the Z so its part of it" do you men leave it in the position it was in my original mock-up? And I stongly agree with the 3D remark.

If anyone has some further suggestions, I'm all ears - especially if you could offer some advice on the circular logo.

Viza.

Well, I've taken everyon's very kind help & suggestions into account, and I've refined the existing logo into these potentials:

At this point, I probably prefer the top two because even though i'd prefer the total outline to be a square, the letters ("V" especially) just don't seem to look natural enough anymore (all squished and ugly).

This is an improvement, but I'm still not satisfied: I'm looking forward to hearing your comments, as I'm really striving to put a lot of effort if need to produce a professional (at least, close to it) and recognisable logo.

Please post any feedback at all that you have to offer.

Viza.

yup #1 is the best of the bunch

Animal Lover, Flash lover eaglevision's Avatar
    could you make it copyable?
    Thanks!
    ~11-year old flasher

what do you mean by 'copyable', eagle?

please use clear language in your posts, it will reduce confusion among our members.

If i want to copy it i wont be able yo...could you post the link to it so I can copy it, and change somthing?
    Thanks!

Edit: I did not mean "yo..." I meant "to"
    Last edited by eaglevision; 01-09-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    ~11-year old flasher

just right click the image and 'save link as' or 'save image as'

I know, but if you copyed it and paste it into paint...You would see my problem
    Thanks
    ~11-year old flasher

EagleVision: Thanks for your endeavour to help, but I don't expect you to go to the trouble of altering my existing logo; I'd be very happy just to hear your thoughts and opinions so I can get the best out of what I currently have.

LeftEyeWilly: Thanks! I think I'll go for the top left one if no one else offers their opinion at this point. For some reason, the little line underneath the 'Z' reminds me of EA's logo.

I'm still eagerly awaiting further advice.

Viza.

Student
    ok so now I did a little on your logo (wich I am not supposed to do as I am busy with other stuff).

I detailed out some of the shapes- to make them more interesting and to give it more motion. And just to give it the little xtra I did it in 3d and afterwards otimized the curves as vectors.

here are some final color variations

the last one can be used for fax, stamps or any 1 color type
    I´ll send you the vectors today or tomorrow

hope you like it

Render FTW! Damn nice work!
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

damn! nice work render. nice work in deed.

must learn 3d program...and how to draw

Now that is a sexy looking V, would be cool to have the A resting on the word Production...

Excellent work!

D

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    hope you like it

Sorry for that pause, I just had to get a clean change of pants!

Render, that is far beyond my expectations and dreams for this logo! Thank you so very much.

It's just brilliant in so many ways, I can't thank you enough. I have no idea how I could return the favour, but I still feel obliged to help you in the future with anything (that sounds weird: me telling such a talented person as yourself that I can help ). I owe you, big time.

Viza.

Student
    that´s nice that you guys like it,- the font for 'professional' is a helvetica, but I merged it to vectors so you dont need to have it necessary.

Just some general advise: the logo is a 3c (3 colors) 2 shader colors 1 body color. If you are unhappy with the colors at some time try to use colors that go well together e.g (cold, warm, earth colors, fresh,...) you have to play with it to get a propper result.

I hope the logo goes well on smal sizes as well- but otherwise leave out the productions if you need it very smal that should work too